Can't get it right...

Discuss hand tools here, its quieter and less dusty than the other sections.
ohms12

Can't get it right...

Postby ohms12 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:07 pm

So, I purchased an old Stanley no 4 plane on Ebay, It looks to be from around the 50-60s. I've honed the edge of the blade, flattened the sole, taken out the frog and cleaned it up. The chip breaker is sitting flush with the blade and all seems dandy. Shaving wise, i'm either getting shavings that aren't even across the blade (i've checked and the blade definitely looks straight), or they're too curly and short. I cannot, for the life of me, adjust so that i'm getting long, smooth, even shavings.

Failing that, it just digs in. I believe my blade to be sharp, it cuts through paper like butter. Just don't know what i'm doing wrong. :(

mark270981
Subscriber

Re: Can't get it right...

Postby mark270981 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:26 pm

The chip breaker is flush with the blade? I've always set it in a mm or 2
--------------------------------------------------------------
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

ohms12

Postby ohms12 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:14 pm

Nope, it's about 2mm away.

Here's some pics:

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:06 pm

the sole doesn't look flat to me... looks like it dishes in towards the mouth.
Could be the light, but the bevel doesn't look right either ?
Can't seem to figure out the 1st phoyo ?

Hi BTW :)
Welcome to the forum

woodsmith
Subscriber

Postby woodsmith » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:00 pm

Can we have a couple of pictures of the plane, one of the plane itself viewed from above and one of the blade with the chip breaker fitted?

Welcome to the forum btw.
Keith

ohms12

Postby ohms12 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:54 am

No worries, i'll get some pics up tomorrow :)

tusses wrote:the sole doesn't look flat to me... looks like it dishes in towards the mouth.
Could be the light, but the bevel doesn't look right either ?
Can't seem to figure out the 1st phoyo ?

Hi BTW :)
Welcome to the forum

Fair point - i'll sand it down further and see how I get on.

What looks strange about the bevel? The first pic is the iron against a set square - someone had mentioned that if the iron wasn't square my shavings would be off.

And hi!

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:02 pm

Welcome to the forum. On the Stanley there is a lever to adjust the angle of the blade in the plane so you might try that so that the blade cuts evenly. If in your last photo above the blade is protruding just enough to get a shaving then you could try and move the frog forward a bit. Personally I wouldn't worry unduly about flattening the sole any more at this stage unless it really is bad. If you are going to continue flattening, do it with the blade installed although not proud obviously as this can affect the shape of the sole. Finally curly shavings are normal for softwood like pine.

ohms12

Postby ohms12 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:19 pm

Yeah I've adjusted the lever to what I believe to be straight. But it seems that when I do that I still get shavings on one side. Maybe my iron is tapered to one side? Certainly doesn't look it though. I was using beech on that piece, i'm finding it quite hard to get some softer woods in my area!

Micmoc
Occasional Poster

Postby Micmoc » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:46 pm

Hi, any more pics? Blade and chip breaker together , how the frog is seated, along the sole toward the blade. As said above wouldn't spend too much time flattening the sole , good luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

old

Postby old » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:19 pm

I purchased a plane with similar problems and the pivot for the lever (that tilts the blade) was drilled off centre it was riveted so i cut it off and redrilled and riveted .

stevep
Subscriber

Postby stevep » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:15 pm

Just a thought, and it might be my eye sight, but have you got the blade in the right way up? It should be bevel down, with the cap iron on the 'back' (non-bevel) side and about 1mm from the edge. In your last photo it looks wrong to me. I'm assuming that what I call a cap iron is what you call a chip breaker.

Richard K

Postby Richard K » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:09 am

I would leave flattening until last. Most other things you can check are less work.

As mentioned check the seating and the alignment of the frog. Then ensure the iron is contacting fully on the face of the frog.

If you want to be sure the iron is set straight, back the blade until a hairs width protrudes and use a narrow piece of scrap wood (about 5mm, but not critical) check shavings are even at both ends. Adjust accordingly.

When you are flattening, use marker pen at the heel and toe of the plane and just in front and behind the mouth. Taking material in these areas should confirm it is flat enough. Assuming your sanding base is flat. What are you using?

Blinker
Occasional Poster

Postby Blinker » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:34 am

Is the blade in upside-down? Looks like it. :?:
I could be incorrect though.

Mordecai :)
I'm too old to cry and it hurts too much to laugh.

Return to “Hand Tools”