gouge or adze

Discuss hand tools here, its quieter and less dusty than the other sections.
cookielc

gouge or adze

Postby cookielc » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:59 am

Hi all,

I have decided to make some bird feeders this Christmas out of a small log and I am trying to figure out what tools I might need as I have no tools at all (not even a screwdriver) and I have never tried to make anything out of wood before. The log is 27cm (10.6”) in circumference and I want to hollow out the middle of the log by 8cm (3.14”) wide, 14cm (5.5”) length and 7cm (2.7”) in depth. I will then fit some wire mesh over the hollowed out section and drill a hole in the back so I can insert the bird food. I can’t figure out if I can make this hollow with a gouge or if I need an adze. I don’t want to buy both as the tools are expensive and I don’t know how much I will use them after making the bird feeder. Although I do like the idea of making a bowl... Depending on what you recommend gouge or adze what size would you suggest I buy.

Thanks for any advice or help you can offer.

Many thanks,

Rogerdodge
Subscriber

Re: gouge or adze

Postby Rogerdodge » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:22 pm

I really would not recommend an adze - there is a definite knack to using one which takes a while acquire - meantime your toes are at risk ! ( I am talking about the traditional long handled boat builders adze. )

Good Luck

Rog

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:11 pm

spade bit and hand drill to hog the most out. then a chisel/gouge (or power file! )

Louis84
Occasional Poster

Postby Louis84 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:06 am

if you don't want to spend any money then a gauge is your best bet.
Measure twice, measure thrice, cut once, glue a bit back on, cut again, bit of filler, done

Return to “Hand Tools”