Newbie help needed

Discuss hand tools here, its quieter and less dusty than the other sections.
Clubber

Newbie help needed

Postby Clubber » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:07 pm

Hi everyone. I'm Ray and I like wood!

I've had an urge to build something for many years now and have finally bought myself a few handtool to learn with (tenon saw, chisel set w honing guide and stone, #4 plane, com sq, soft hammer, mortise gauge, 2 clamps and a table-top vice not to mention some wood).

I'm hoping to make new bed side set of draws. My plan is to laminate a few pieces of wood for the sides and tops with with either dove tail, rabbit or tenon joints and have the draws sliding via dado runners.

I've decided on pine to start with (a rough prototype and cheaper) and once I have successfully done so I plan on making the final out of walnut (once I can make a clean cut that is) :evil:

I've sat down, watched a few YouTube videos for guides on sharpening my out of the box chisels and plane blade which seemed to go well. Chopped a length of wiggly wood to practise on.

The problems Im having at the moment is everything is sticking and jumping. When I saw, I can't get a clean cut and when I've tried planing I end up frustrated as the plane hops and digs in. I've tried going light handed with nothing and I've tried putting my whole body weight behind it which ends up pushing/tilting the wood out of the vice.

As I said earlier I know things are going to get easier with practice and time but at the moment the simplest of tasks are putting me off from seeing it through. I currently don't want to have another go as I fear I'll just ruin the wood I have and then not bother to get any more, and then add the tools to the "failed" corner of the attic to collect dust.

Any advice or thoughts are welcome, thanks in advance.

Ray

promhandicam

Re: Newbie help needed

Postby promhandicam » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:24 pm

Hi Ray,

Welcome to the forum. The easiest way to help you would be if someone was willing to spend an hour or 2 with you to show you a few basics. Where are you based and could you travel if someone was willing to spend a bit of time with you, perhaps in exchange for few beer tokens or a couple of hours helping them in some form or another.

Clubber

Postby Clubber » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:28 pm

Easily sorted. I'm located in Exeter and happy to listen if someone is happy to explain/show me some tips or techniques.

I'm not to proud to admit I had the iron in back to front :roll:

Clubber

Postby Clubber » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:31 pm

Cheers Steve, (might be a double post, am home from work now and have more time to spend replying)

Thanks for the message, I am happy to take up someones time and knowledge as long as they are happy to give it...Beer tokens, I have a plenty!!

I live in Exeter and am always looking for a reason to put some miles the bike! I have actually reached out to a local trader who makes and sells besoke furniture.

Thanks again,

Ray

TomasG

Postby TomasG » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:40 pm

Hello Ray
It sounds to me that you need a solid workbench to work on
This is the most important thing you need so you can use those tools
the next thing is it needs to be FLAT
You will need a solid bench to make a nice /usable bench for plenty of hand plane use ....
If you plan to work with solid woods the hand plane is the foundation
and the bench is your reference .

It also sounds like you've got no other wood apart from the stuff that what you wish to use for nice things.
Id start collecting materials ,skipdiving for wood ...if none procured mabye look for
large square fenceposts 4 or 5" thick in a local sawmill for the legs
maybe find some 2 x 4 's for the top frame .
It would be way easier if you get a spirit level and strike a line against a wall ,,and screw
one of your flattest 2x4's or similar to it and work to that with your level ....
as your floor could be un-level a free standing bench could be a PITA unless its really heavy.
Make this frame up with the idea that your flat top surface will FLOAT on top ...
not talking about a plywood sheet or the likes ,but a fire door or similar rigid composite that wont flex /warp
But make sure thats its not secured too tightly ,that it warps your rigid flat top
and then you could put whatever mdf exc on top of that .
If you dont have any materials on hand ..It would be hard for somebody to actually help you get started productively.
and you would be better going to somebody if you want the expierence of using the tools in a proper enviroment.
Good luck Ray
Tomas

Clubber

Postby Clubber » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:52 pm

Thanks for the reply Tomas,

I too think a bench is what I'm missing. I have found a plan to build one and intend to do so over the next few weekends.

I will keep you all updated in my progress and thanks for the advice thus far.

emir01

Postby emir01 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:10 am

I agree with Tomas. I suggest that you check out the workbenches from Emir. They have strong and durable workbenches and they can customize based on what you need. Check them out here http://www.emir.co.uk/workbenches/

I hope it help. And good luck mate!

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:49 pm

Plenty of other bench suppliers out there, Clubber but much better to build your own.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Hand Tools”