Joining boards

Discuss hand tools here, its quieter and less dusty than the other sections.
Yorkymish

Joining boards

Postby Yorkymish » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:24 pm

Does anybody have and advice or info on jigs / fences for planing square faces on boards.
I'm a novice wood worker and love using my hand planes.
but I'm still perfecting my skills and help so that I can get nice clean glue joints would be great.

woodsmith
Subscriber

Re: Joining boards

Postby woodsmith » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:21 pm

There are gadgets you can get to fit to a plane to help keep it square but You don't need one, if you want to joint two pieces of wood, put them side by side in a vice and plane both edges at the same time, any slight discrepancy in angle will be the same for both pieces and so when you lay them down to glue up you should get a perfect glue line.
Keith

Yorkymish

Postby Yorkymish » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:05 am

Reading that it makes perfect sence and I'm now kicking myself for not thinking that. Thank you I will give that a go.

rosinante

Postby rosinante » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:57 pm

Make sure your blade is straight and has no camber if you are planing 2 pieces at once also arrange them so one face is against the rear of the other so that if not planed at 90 deg the reversing will make the faces flat when reversed, not the best description but a little thought will sort it.

Yorkymish

Postby Yorkymish » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:26 am

Ok thanks, no it's a good description. It makes sence and hopefully a good correction. Only bugger is I have just spent ages honing a rounded cam on my big plane blades. Might have to get a straight one for jointing or a jointer plane but they are expensive. Although I did see a faithful one for £40 and some of the faithful tools are ok.

Return to “Hand Tools”