Veritas Jack rebate plane

Discuss hand tools here, its quieter and less dusty than the other sections.
sted2

Veritas Jack rebate plane

Postby sted2 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:24 pm

More experienced members have encouraged me to ask questions even if they show my inexperience! This is my first one so here goes…

My father very kindly gave me my grandfathers tool chest when I started woodworking. As a result I inherited most tools to get me going. The only thing lacking was an accurate plane for use with a shooting board. I therefore bought a Veritas low angle Jack plane. I felt it was rather an extravagance due to the cost but it has turned out well!

Now I am being tempted to sell the Jack and buy the Veritas Jack Rebate Plane. Would this be a wise move? I make/repair doors and windows. It seems quicker to do some things by hand rather than set up machinery.

Any advice would be very welcome!!!

Thanks

Jae

promhandicam

Re: Veritas Jack rebate plane

Postby promhandicam » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:10 pm

I've got a Veritas LAJ and wouldn't part with it. I don't have a large rebate plane - I've got a couple of smaller shoulder planes and a bull nose plane and have never felt the need for anything bigger. At the end of the day, only you know what you use your planes for and what other equipment you have at your disposal, but for just under £300 I think you would need to be using it a lot!

Return to “Hand Tools”