Chest Gamble

Discuss hand tools here, its quieter and less dusty than the other sections.
jake
Subscriber

Chest Gamble

Post by jake » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:33 pm

So, am I going to rue this one, or have a whole bunch of great surprises hidden in the blurry shots and in the bits he didn't even bother to shoot?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170172726241

toobyefore
Very Regular Poster

Chest Gamble

Post by toobyefore » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:57 pm

Gonna be a lot of fun finding out either way, and "patternmaker" is usually a hopeful sign. More pics when you get it would be nice. :)

Cheers, Alf

jake
Subscriber

Chest Gamble

Post by jake » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:29 pm

Gonna be a lot of fun finding out either way, and "patternmaker" is usually a hopeful sign. More pics when you get it would be nice. :)
Yep, I think I spy handles of nice-looking paring chisels.

There'll probably all be a load of gouges, given the propellor making thing, but that's OK as I have none, not one, of them - just as with moulding planes.

The shoulder plane looks interestingish.

The pictures to come are the point of the thread... got to wait patiently for a week or more to see for myself though...

jfc
Administrator

Chest Gamble

Post by jfc » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:56 pm

Hey that looks more fun than my buying every saw on ebay game . Buying old tat you cant even see game sounds great fun ;D

jake
Subscriber

Chest Gamble

Post by jake » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:32 pm

Hey I sneaked out two saws under your nose.

jfc
Administrator

Chest Gamble

Post by jfc » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:50 pm

why i orta ;D what ones did you buy ?

scrit
Very Regular Poster

Chest Gamble

Post by scrit » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:13 pm

Hmmmm. Potentially nice little infill shoulder plane there, and certainly an interesting brass-bound ebony screw stem mortise gauge, plus loads of other stuff. You could have done well, there, Jake

Scrit

jake
Subscriber

Chest Gamble

Post by jake » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:29 pm

I've got my fingers crossed, Scrit.

The two to the left of the chest, Jason!

jake
Subscriber

Chest Gamble

Post by jake » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:36 pm

Erm, it took a while for it to be collected and delivered, and I kind of forgot this thread: time for a resurrection.

Let's start with the contents of the insert trays (there's three of them, one out of shot):

Well I got some of these :o

and, lucky me, some of these rusty files (I don't think those file cards will be man enough to sort them out):

This is getting better, let's have some chisels:

That's some mortice chisels (including some tiny ones, 1/8 and 1/16, guessing from memory):

Some (what are now, but interestingly uniform, so maybe they always were) butt chisels (why would anyone want two pairs, though?):

Some pretty ordinary bevel edge chisels (but the two small ones really are very delicate):

And some gouges:

Then there's a few little slip stones (including one which shows that at least one of the gouges was well used!)

Some brace bits (and a modern interloper) and a pad saw

Some dividers, bradawls, pliers, a Stanley (Sweetheart) marking guage and a Morrills sawset:

Spare handles, bradawls, gimlet, screwdriver, chalk (wow!), wooden spokeshave blades:

More gimlets, and a load of drill and brace bits, from reduced shank lip and spur, through to spoon bits:

Five more marking/mortice gauges, some home made, some not:

Some wooden spokeshaves:

and a couple of bits and pieces:

the iron's a bit short! It's marked Thackarey, nothing on the body, really quite clean, mahogany wedge, very tight mouth - needs a little tidying up and a good sharpen:

That's it for now - when I get around to another photo session, I'll start on this lot:

toobyefore
Very Regular Poster

Chest Gamble

Post by toobyefore » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:22 pm

Oooooo, fun. ;D Reminds me a lot of my two; damn good fun going through it all to see what you've got. Beats a Christmas stocking.

Looks like you might have the side handle for the egg beater in one of the tills possibly? And is that a plough iron there - plough in there some place? The short iron on the shoulder plane is a Good Sign - shows it works and was well loved. I'm sure Ray Iles or someone could sort you out a new one if required. The only Thackeray British Planemakers has is as follows:

Thackeray, John William.
Leeds.
Wesley Rd., Armley
67 Old Row, Armley 1907-1912
Ivy Works, 51 Old Row, Armley <1930
Metal plane maker.

Cheers, Alf

paulchapman
Subscriber

Chest Gamble

Post by paulchapman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:11 pm

Looks like some good stuff amongst that lot.

Cheers ;)

Paul

jake
Subscriber

Chest Gamble

Post by jake » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:11 am

Alf wrote:Oooooo, fun. ;D Reminds me a lot of my two;
Mmmmeeeeep!

damn good fun going through it all to see what you've got. Beats a Christmas stocking.
Ha, it does so - it was a while ago, but I was a bit like a child when it arrived, 'and this' 'oh and one of those' etc.

Sadly, I've been doing too much other stuff to give it any attention this year so far, so the photo session was like doing that all over again. I can't remember what's in the box, exactly.

Looks like you might have the side handle for the egg beater in one of the tills possibly?
Good spot - I think.

And is that a plough iron there - plough in there some place?
Could well be, I can't recall - there are a bunch of wooden planes, mostly moulding planes. We'll find out in part 2!

The short iron on the shoulder plane is a Good Sign - shows it works and was well loved. I'm sure Ray Iles or someone could sort you out a new one if required.
Yep - it's got a few years left in it, I reckon.

The only Thackeray British Planemakers has is as follows:

Thackeray, John William.
Leeds.
Wesley Rd., Armley
67 Old Row, Armley 1907-1912
Ivy Works, 51 Old Row, Armley <1930
Metal plane maker.
Hey thanks - that's him - I definitely remember Leeds being on there, and maybe Armley. I'll see if there's any more address.

toobyefore
Very Regular Poster

Chest Gamble

Post by toobyefore » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:02 pm

jake wrote:
Alf wrote:Oooooo, fun. ;D Reminds me a lot of my two;
Mmmmeeeeep!
Nice to know I've not totally lost the art. ;D

mrspanton
Occasional Poster

Chest Gamble

Post by mrspanton » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:53 pm

How much did you give for that lot?

jake
Subscriber

Chest Gamble

Post by jake » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:11 pm

A lot -

engineerone
Incredibly Regular Poster

Chest Gamble

Post by engineerone » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:53 pm

come on jake that seems to be only about

jake
Subscriber

Chest Gamble

Post by jake » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:41 pm

I'm not complaining - overall, there's more than

robo
Occasional Poster

Chest Gamble

Post by robo » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:43 pm

Jake you lucky so and so :)

Because I used to live in Armley, I went after a similar Thackery last year - pulled out as it went for silly money!

R

jake
Subscriber

Chest Gamble

Post by jake » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:07 am

Is anyone a T Smith?

I went through the tray of drills and bits properly last night - right at the bottom was the guy's very neat "T Smith" stamp. Not much use to me!

Some interesting stuff - among the spoon bits there are some very small and delicate ones (a few mm wide), some spoon bits which whorl into a twist/snail shape at the end (there's no doubt a name for them, but I've never come across them before),
three Marples brace countersinks, and bunch more all-metal chiselling/levering tools - much smaller than the big ones in the first picture above (not the cold chisels, but the odder ones in the middle), some Dormer bits obviously for a machine collet, and some normal twist drill, but for a brace - and loads of gimlets, must be about six in total.

toobyefore
Very Regular Poster

Chest Gamble

Post by toobyefore » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:07 pm

jake wrote:...some spoon bits which whorl into a twist/snail shape at the end (there's no doubt a name for them, but I've never come across them before)
Sounds like a Shell Gimlet Bit which has a shell body with a lead screw. You might find my picture quiz here handy for odd bit-identification.

Cheers, Alf

mrgrimsdale

Chest Gamble

Post by mrgrimsdale » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:58 pm

Alf wrote:snip
You might find my picture quiz here handy for odd bit-identification.

Cheers, Alf
No good to me ;D ;D ;D

cheers
Jacob

jake
Subscriber

Chest Gamble

Post by jake » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:11 pm

I love the grammer - real nice, real, real nice.

Shell gimlet sounds about right (but you lacked a photo of one, I note). I'll bung up a photo of my small set over the weekend. Have to try them too - weird looking things.

jake
Subscriber

Chest Gamble

Post by jake » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:12 pm

I also like the advert - "Toilet - No septic. Made in Canada." Ha ha.

jake
Subscriber

Chest Gamble

Post by jake » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:39 pm

robo wrote:Jake you lucky so and so :)

Because I used to live in Armley, I went after a similar Thackery last year - pulled out as it went for silly money!

R
It seems like a nice plane - not that I've got any other infill planes to compare it with. Very, very, tight mouth. I haven't quite mastered setting it *just* right yet.

toobyefore
Very Regular Poster

Chest Gamble

Post by toobyefore » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:21 pm

jake wrote:Shell gimlet sounds about right (but you lacked a photo of one, I note).
Yeah, kept meaning to go back to that and do a more complete rundown for my site, but you know how it is. :-/

Cheers, Alf

jake
Subscriber

Chest Gamble

Post by jake » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:22 pm

Alf wrote: but you know how it is. :-/

Cheers, Alf

Umm, ahh, yeah. *months float past*

jfc
Administrator

Chest Gamble

Post by jfc » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:16 am

If you need to get rid of a set of those doubled up stumpy butt chisels Jake please let me know . I can see them being very handy in tight spaces . ;)

jfc
Administrator

Chest Gamble

Post by jfc » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:23 am

Are they rounded bevels i can see on those pig stickers ;D

mrgrimsdale

Chest Gamble

Post by mrgrimsdale » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:00 am

jfc wrote:Are they rounded bevels i can see on those pig stickers ;D
So they are! And well used by a busy woodworker by the looks of it. No time to fiddle about with obsessive sharpening if there's work to do ;D ;D
What about the others? As far as I can see they seem to have single bevels. I bet they aren't perfectly flat*. We are all dying to know Jake.

cheers
Jacob
*NB rounded or convex bevels really implies just not particularly flat. The actual shape doesn't matter (within reason) if the edge is OK
PS a collection like this can be an insight into how a hardworking and presumably competent woodworker, uses and sharpens his tools. As Jake sharpens them one by one (in his no doubt excellent way), the evidence is lost

jake
Subscriber

Chest Gamble

Post by jake » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:01 pm

Some of them are rounded, some are approximated to convex with a series of three or four wide bevels, others are flat most of the way, and slightly rounded at the end.

Not many of them are 90 degrees across at the end - maybe that's the next stage in your sharpening techniques?

mrgrimsdale

Chest Gamble

Post by mrgrimsdale » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:14 pm

jake wrote:Some of them are rounded, some are approximated to convex with a series of three or four wide bevels, others are flat most of the way, and slightly rounded at the end.
What you'd expect really - a busy geezer who doesn't give an eff about bevel details as long as he can get on with the job ;D
Not many of them are 90 degrees across at the end - maybe that's the next stage in your sharpening techniques?
Funny you should say that, watch this space!

cheers
Jacob

jake
Subscriber

Chest Gamble

Post by jake » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:19 pm

I dug out the drill section properly (and uncovered a further roll of drill bits in the base of the chest):

Here are the shell gimlet bits:

Close up of a couple of them - one of them lacks the lead screw, I'm sure Alf's thread will identify it for me - a shell with a twist:

Shell bits:

Brad point bits:

Countersinks:

Tapered reamer, some twist drills with square shanks, and an expansive bit (with a spare longer expandy bit)

Some bits that look to my ignorant eye like they are engineering bits for some sort of machine tool?

Lots of proddy/scrapy/chiselly things, that don't look as if they are for woodwork (much like the collection of big cold chisels, etc, in the first picture I posted the other day) - what the hell did this guy do?

Curiouser and curiouser - more oddities - screwdrivers, fine, but look at the size of some of them - hand-made micro screwdrivers, the smallest can't be more than 1 or 2mm:

Some odds and sods - another weird bit, converted by hand to fit in a brace, a couple of mini-scrapers (thicker than a normal scraper, but much smaller as you can see), some turnscrews (one hand converted from a centre bit by the looks of it, and the very cute and amazingly well made T Smith stamp:

More of the stamp - hand-filed, converted from a chisel by the looks:

The jennings pattern augers:

the irwin pattern augers (demoted to a roll in the chest, and no fancy hand made covers for these!

The gimlets:

From the sheer extent of the above selection of drill bits, I have to conclude that this bloke was always boring.

Next up: the wooden planes:

jake
Subscriber

Chest Gamble

Post by jake » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:56 pm

I guess the boring bits really are boring.

The planes are quite plain too.

This one stands out as having a bit of glitz - not sure it's in any way my favourite though. It certainly is very neat and tidy (in contrast to some of the stuff, clearly not much used). It's a Marples, from memory, and it is dated - which I do remember - 1948:

lImage

The bit which surprised me - not having handled a wooden plough before, and especially given the twin wedges which lock the fence, was that the depth stop is wound up and down very smoothly by the brass knob (must be a threaded or rack and pinion mech or something, but I've yet to explore it properly) - I expected it just to be something cruder like a lock-nut.

toobyefore
Very Regular Poster

Chest Gamble

Post by toobyefore » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:42 am

Sorry, Jake - meant to come back to them when I had the proper time to look. Naturally that's not this moment either! ::) If I don't return anon, give me a kick up the posterior.

Cheers, Alf

wizer
Occasional Poster

Chest Gamble

Post by wizer » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:16 pm

I wonder if the 'mith' of T SMITH could be files off?? If so i'd be interested.

jake
Subscriber

Chest Gamble

Post by jake » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:28 pm

That would be sacrilege, Wizer - it's so nicely made! So much so, I'm thinking of changing my name(s). ;D

mrgrimsdale

Chest Gamble

Post by mrgrimsdale » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:45 pm

My name is T (for Titus) Smith - and somebody recently swiped a box full of the collected tools of me, my father (Thaddeus), my grandfather (Theophilus). Any information leading to their recovery would be appreciated, and rewarded with a free bradawl.

cheers
T Smith

jake
Subscriber

Chest Gamble

Post by jake » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:03 pm

Sod off - you'll soon be claiming you're called G Ward, and T Smith stole loads of stuff off you in your childhood (two names on a bunch of the planes - T Smith has tried mostly to obliterate Mr Ward).

jfc
Administrator

Chest Gamble

Post by jfc » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:00 am

Mr Ward here . Has anyone seen my old planes ? I last saw them when i was working with that toerag Mr T Smith !

mrgrimsdale

Chest Gamble

Post by mrgrimsdale » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:35 am

Oops yes sorry Mr Ward. Was me wot borrowed them, I meant to tell you. Now some a***ole as nicked the hole b***in lot. Wuddya believe it!!!! Probably flogged em on ebay

cheers
Titus