Slot Mortising Machine bushings

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
John Duffy

Slot Mortising Machine bushings

Postby John Duffy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:02 am

Hi,
I have a need to drill 150+ 14mm square holes in solid oak some of which will need to be at 49 degrees but most are perpendicular to the work.
Yes, I could do it by hand but timed one at 10 mins and life is too short!
After experimenting with a very cheap 14mm square hollow chisel from China I decided that a machine mortising chisel was the way to go but I needed to go up-market, I have therefore ordered an NH brand chisel auger from Scott&Sargeant. I expected shank size to be standard but it is 13/16 (20.6mm).
I am happy to buy a second-hand machine but most are made to fit 3/4" shank chisels.

So, two questions:
If I buy a 3/4" shank bench machine (an Axminster, NU Tools, Record type machine) which go for c £100 on Ebay, how hard would it be to fit a 13/16 bush?
My preference would actually be to hire a heavier duty mortising machine because I can't see myself using it that often, but I cannot find a company who hires them out. I am going to ask S&S if they hire out second-hand machines but in the meantime, does anyone know of someone who hires out mortisers in West Yorkshire or slightly further afield? I am in Leeds and have a trailer.

Many thanks

John

JonR
Occasional Poster

Re: Slot Mortising Machine bushings

Postby JonR » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:20 pm

Here you go i bought one of these
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-mo ... tor-400043
if you have a pillar drill you could use one of these
http://www.axminster.co.uk/morticing-attachment-610053

maybe a better option to buy a pillar drill as you could use that for other things when the job is done

John Duffy

Re: Slot Mortising Machine bushings

Postby John Duffy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:39 am

Hi JonR, that is a very good idea. I was thinking about a pillar drill since I only have one of those naff Axminster stands. It will need to be a meaty one with the right size collar, but a decent pillar drill will be of far more use to me than a mortising machine, longer term.
Certainly worth thinking about.
Many thanks.

Return to “Power Tools and Machinery”