The new (old) saw!

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
davidpidge
Occasional Poster

The new (old) saw!

Postby davidpidge » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:04 am

Life changing...

20170906_164140.jpg

Like a glove!

IMG-20170907-WA0004.jpeg

A bit of 9mm ply stands in the fence to make a clip board for the cutting list. I've found a ducting/extraction company near me that will fabricate any hose connections I need. The crown guard is an 80mm OD hose and I'll get a branch made to feed this into the 100mm system.

The saw is quiet and cuts perfectly square. Got a lot of lacquered birch ply to cut for my next wardrobe so it was just in time. The TS55 is showing it's age now when cutting 18mm ply. I did a test cut on some melamine with the scribe blade and it was flawless both sides of the cut. How is the scribe blade usually moved for cutting either side of the blade? At the moment it is set for cutting with the sliding table but if I do a rip cut (on the right of the blade) then the scribe cut is out of line. I assume the scribe blade must be moved from left to right depending on the cut. There is a big slotted thing in a hole near the blade which adjusts something. Is it this?

I can't find a manual for this saw online. Anyone have a Griggio saw or other machinery? I know they still make machinery so do they support old machines? This is a 1996 model.

9fingers
Subscriber

Re: The new (old) saw!

Postby 9fingers » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:31 am

Looks very nice! Envious or what!
My shop is long and narrow so I can't fit anything like that in.
Can't help with the manual but that type of saw is going to be much like others mechically and for electrical info sadly even the original manuals don't always have much if anything of real help when trying to fix them.
Bob
Information on induction motors and inverters here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Postby davidpidge » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:37 pm

I never thought I'd have room for a full size panel saw but after visiting another cabinet maker and seeing how he worked a sliding Felder saw into his small workshop I was inspired. I did have to cut off around 150mm from the rip fence bar!

9fingers
Subscriber

Postby 9fingers » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:09 pm

I had to think long and hard before reducing my cabinet saw fence by about 400mm to get it in the shop and be able to pass by as well.

Bob
Information on induction motors and inverters here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

furynaturre
Subscriber

Postby furynaturre » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:15 pm

Fantastic job!

I tried to design my workshop around a currently non-existent panel saw, but would happily take a gas axe to the table on a biggy with 1200 rip on it just to give me a bit more room so your 150mm is prie well worth paying... Looks like Bob took the plunge too!

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:34 pm

Nice looking saw. On mine (a felder) I only ever bother about getting the scribing blade in line on the left of the main blade as I only really use the scribe when using the sliding table. Most scribing blades have conical teeth, so I guess that it would be possible to get it in the correct position for both left and right, but it would have to be a combination of lateral position and height. FWIW JonnyD had a Griggio panel saw, but I'm not sure if he still looks in here - maybe try and send him a PM.

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Postby Jonathan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:39 pm

Congrats on the new slider, going to a slider was a great move for me.

Try calling scott and sargent they should be able to point you in the right direction for the manual. They have the manual for the sc32

Regards scoring, generally a scoring blade is 2 blades back to back, mine has shims so as to space it as required, some have set screws.
If you set up to get a perfect cut from both sides you can end up with lot's of fiddling each time you change a blade over or have one re sharpened.

Return to “Power Tools and Machinery”