Tablesaw upgrade

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
Beardo

Tablesaw upgrade

Postby Beardo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:17 pm

Hi,

Looking to upgrade my tablesaw to something more substantial. Currently have a scheppach HS105 (a great small budget saw, served me well), which will still have a role on-site with me. Looking for something with a bigger capacity and better accuracy. Preferably with a sliding crosscut carriage for cutting cabinet carcasses etc..

I have a max budget of £1500. Currently have my eye on either the Scheppach precisa 3, or Axminster’s AT254PS13. The Scheppach looks better in principle, but has a unusual blade size and have read a few reviews that suggest getting compatible blades/riving knifes is difficult.

Anyone have experience of either of these machines, or have any other suggestions that might be worth considering.

Thanks.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Re: Tablesaw upgrade

Postby Meccarroll » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:11 am

I purchased a used 240v SCM3 panel saw which was about £1200 or so a couple of years ago. You can buy one for less than I paid but need to look carefully at them. They are extremely well made and very accurate with a scoring saw too which is very handy. Once set up you can take the sliding carriage off and put it back on again and the saw will continue to be very accurate. I think you would find that hard to do with the Scheppach or Axminster.

Mark

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Postby Leveller2911 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:22 pm

Don't buy an Axminster table saw with a 3yr Parts and Labour warranty and expect any level of service from them other than "f**king dire"..

I spent the best part of £5k with them for an Industrial rip saw which broke down within 30 seconds of turing it on and they didn't want to come on site to sort it out even though it came with a 3yrs on site warranty. They then f**ked about getting the spare parts to me because the idiot so called engineer forgot to post it.... To be fair to him Axminster only had 2 engineers covering the whole country................ Bunch of cowboys and I will never buy from them again, typical case of amateurs trying to play in the higher league and just not up to the job.

Its also worth noting the rip saw I bought was classed as "Industrial" class when I bought it but that same saw is now only classed by Axminster as "Trade " class, guess why......

Do I sound bitter?...............Avoid Axminster tools for industrial or Trade machinery ..........

Beardo

Postby Beardo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:13 pm

Thanks for quick replies, both.

Although I’ve bought lots of items from Axminster and always been happy with price and delivery times, I’ve never bought any of their branded machinery. Based on leveller2911’s review I might never! :shock:

In which case, suggestions for other options, or opinions on the precisa 3.0? SMC stuff looks great, but probably a little out of my price range (unless I can find a good SH option). Other than wearing the carbon brushes out, I was always happy with my Scheppach HS105 so perhaps I should just be brand loyal! :D

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:54 pm

I had a similar experience with an Industrial Chip Collector / Dust extractor from Axminster. Admittedly it was a customer return, but when the motor went pop a few months after I got it I was told a replacement would take a couple of months to come from China or I could pay an extra £150 and have it in 4 weeks if I had it sent airfreight! In the end with the help of a forum member I got a motor from a seller on ebay and then Bob turned down the shaft because Axminster in their wisdom used a completely non standard size shaft. Never again.

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:42 pm

Beardo...where are you down the path of getting kit ? If you're starting early and have the space, then why not think about a good secondhand cast iron jobbie. Get a Transwave rotary converter if it's 3-phase. You can then continue down the merry path of cast-iron !
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Power Tools and Machinery”