Bandsaw Problem

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
me51ome

Bandsaw Problem

Post by me51ome » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:32 pm

Hi All,

Just joined the forum. I have a Clarkes CBS300 bandsaw which I have pottered with over the last couple of years. I would like to be able to do more accurate rough cuts, splitting up bits of reclaimed wood into long lengths for example - recutting? I have the standard blade which is shipped with the machine but I also purchased a wider one, around 20mm I think. However this hasn't helped, my cuts always wander off making the resulting pieces generally useless for for whatever purpose Im looking at, I'm definitely a novice at this and have tried various videos on setting up my machine but the guide wheels always seem to end up misaligned and I feel I must be doing something wrong.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any good videos on setting up and working with bandsaws - sometimes it's like finding a needle in a haystack on the internet?. Or any good pointers on what I may need to so?

Thanks in advance, LM

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Re: Bandsaw Problem

Post by Meccarroll » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:47 am

Small bandsaws are not really made for re-sawing nor do most of them tend to be that good at it. I have a range of blade widths and I find the 10mm blades does most of what I need including ripping. I tend to check the set on my guides up each time I use the bandsaw, I always release the tension after use and re-tension when I start over again. You need to re-set the guides each time you change the blade especially is you change blade sizes.

Fit the blade turn it by hand to get the tracking right then tension it and run it with the guides backed off. If the blade runs ok then set the top and bottom guides. I set mine so the back guide is just ever so slightly off the blade and the sides so they just sit back about 3mm from the teeth of the blade but sit snug to it.

The clarke CBS300 bandsaw is not an expensive machine and you may find that if you set the blade guides when the guide setup is near the table it is perfect but then when you heighten the guide for ripping it has gone out of alignment due to tolerances in the machine.