Wadkin Vs Wadkin Bursgreen

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
Eldi76

Wadkin Vs Wadkin Bursgreen

Post by Eldi76 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:52 am

Hi guys,
I have a general question that you may have heard many times, but I could not find a clear answer on the web:
What is the difference between Wadkin Bursgreen and Wadkin machines (new)? For example, Wadkin SJR surface planer vs Wadkin Bursgreen WB S410, or Wadkin AT Thicknesser vs Wadkin Bursgreen WB T530?
I am not referring in particular to differences in the technical specs (such as width of cut or maximum stock removal), but rather would like to ask if there are any fundamental differences between the two brands? Which brand is more faithful to the legendary original 'Wadkin' in terms of built quality, reliability, robustness, etc.?
Are Wadkin and Wadkin Bursgreen woodworking machines still made in the UK (including the motors)?
I am interested in purchasing a surface planer and a thicknesser - it's a bit confusing that two different manufacturers bear the name 'Wadkin', so any assistance is highly appreciated!
Thanks,
Eldi

jfc
Administrator

Re: Wadkin Vs Wadkin Bursgreen

Post by jfc » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:51 pm

The legendary brand wadkin is no more . I think they went under in the 80 ? Wadkin became big in the 40's and started buying other companies up like Bursgreen and badging up their machines ( Wadkin Bursgreen ) (Wadkin Cooksley ) etc . When Wadkin went under People bought the intellectual rights to the designs as there where so many of these machines in use there was a market for the parts and information . I think Daltons own most of the Wadkin branding or they did . Certainly alot of the Wadkin staff went to work for Daltons but not making Wadkin machines .
I think the machines you have linked to have been badged up as Wadkin , Wakin Bursgreen but they are not of the original spec .
Both companies are welcome to comment on here if they want to .

Vann

Post by Vann » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:26 am

Wadkin went under in the 2000s. Daltons bought the name, and AMS bought the intellectual property rights. Daltons now market new machines under the Wadkin brand, while AMS market new machines under the Wadkin-Burgreen brand. One, if not both, have their new machines manufactured in China.

If you're looking at more traditional (vintage, second-hand) machines - Wadkin, in my opinion, made their best machines from the late 1920s to 1950, when they introduced a lot of cast aluminium components (handwheels, etc.) to replace previously cast iron parts. However, even then the quality was still there. I guess the cost of producing such quality machinery was becoming too high for the market to stand, and in 1956 Wadkin bought Sagar Bursgreen. Bursgreen had experience in manufacturing cheaper to produce machinery using a lot of steel fabrication in place of many cast components.

Wadkin closed Sagar's plant in 1958. However they kept the two Bursgreen factories and moved production of some of their range to the Bursgreen factories, in addition to developing a whole new range of Wadkin-Bursgreen machines.

As demand for traditional woodworking machinery dropped off, the company contracted and consolidated. The Colne (former Bursgreen) factory closed first, and it was proposed to close the Wadkin Green Lane (Leicester) works next and manufacture only at the former Bursgreen Durham factory. A last minute change saw the Durham factory close instead in 1993 - and Green Lane struggled on to final close about 2007.

Cheers, Vann.
Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club ;)

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:34 am

Vann wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:26 am
Wadkin went under in the 2000s. Daltons bought the name, and AMS bought the intellectual property rights. Daltons now market new machines under the Wadkin brand, while AMS market new machines under the Wadkin-Burgreen brand. One, if not both, have their new machines manufactured in China.

If you're looking at more traditional (vintage, second-hand) machines - Wadkin, in my opinion, made their best machines from the late 1920s to 1950, when they introduced a lot of cast aluminium components (handwheels, etc.) to replace previously cast iron parts. However, even then the quality was still there. I guess the cost of producing such quality machinery was becoming too high for the market to stand, and in 1956 Wadkin bought Sagar Bursgreen. Bursgreen had experience in manufacturing cheaper to produce machinery using a lot of steel fabrication in place of many cast components.

Wadkin closed Sagar's plant in 1958. However they kept the two Bursgreen factories and moved production of some of their range to the Bursgreen factories, in addition to developing a whole new range of Wadkin-Bursgreen machines.

As demand for traditional woodworking machinery dropped off, the company contracted and consolidated. The Colne (former Bursgreen) factory closed first, and it was proposed to close the Wadkin Green Lane (Leicester) works next and manufacture only at the former Bursgreen Durham factory. A last minute change saw the Durham factory close instead in 1993 - and Green Lane struggled on to final close about 2007.

Cheers, Vann.
Thats interesting, I have a Wadkin "Tradesman" morticer. I think the old wadkin machines were very good but for a new machine I quite like SCM.

Vann

Post by Vann » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:38 am

Meccarroll wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:34 am
...I have a Wadkin "Tradesman" morticer. I think the old wadkin machines were very good but for a new machine I quite like SCM.
I don't know anything about the Wadkin "Tradesman" range, but I believe they weren't built at any of the Wadkin/Bursgreen factories in the UK. I think they are someone else's machines, rebadged "Wadkin" and possibly of far-eastern origin.

A bit like this:
Wadkin grinder.jpg
Cheers, Vann.
Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club ;)