Large plunger/mortising router bit?

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
sijandy

Large plunger/mortising router bit?

Post by sijandy » Wed May 15, 2013 11:30 am

Hi, i'm after a large plunger/mortising bit for my router but having difficulty finding anything. My router is 1/4in collet so i gues that limits me on size but so far 20mm the biggest i could find. The intended use, so you know what i'm after, is for a chain driven profiler i have built. It is essentially a way of reducing thickness off sheets of timber for making kiteboards. Basically the timber sits between two rails while my router positioned on a bridge runs up and down the rails profiling the boards. With 500mm boards and a 20mm router bit that 25 passes up and down, so within reason the bigger the better. Something in the 30-40mm range would be good. The timber im using is Paulawnia and i only cut into it up to about 3mm so i rekon the router could handle up to about 40mm before it began to struggle? I have found a couple of bits that would be okay but there from the US and the shipping is twice the value of the bit itself. Any help or advice on this would be very much appreciated. Cheers.

lynx
Very Regular Poster

Re: Large plunger/mortising router bit?

Post by lynx » Wed May 15, 2013 11:40 am

Looks like your going to need a bigger router. 1/2" Collet will allow for 30-40mm cutters but not a 1/4"
LyNx

lynx
Very Regular Poster

Post by lynx » Wed May 15, 2013 11:41 am

either way. Wealden tools for the cutters.
LyNx

sijandy

Post by sijandy » Wed May 15, 2013 12:31 pm

Cheers, just had a look and yeah will need 1/2"collet. Even tho, they're still pretty exspensive £20-30 for one bit...only paid £30 for the router and got a set of 10 bits for £4.99. I'm guessing the difference is the cheap s*** won't last 5mins but given the type of work im doing with them i really don't need expensive bits. Can you get 1/4" to 1/2" adapters? I already have two routers cos i misplaced the first one and then turned up the day after i bought the second...dnt really wanna be getting a third unless i have to.

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Wed May 15, 2013 12:46 pm

I agree with Lynx. A 1/2" cutter is infinitely more robust than a 1/4" (well, perhaps not infinite but you get my drift).
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Neil_C
Subscriber

Post by Neil_C » Wed May 15, 2013 1:09 pm

If your router will take an 8mm collet, then that is another way of slightly increasing the depth of cut without buying a new router.
Cheers,

Neil

mickthetree
Occasional Poster

Post by mickthetree » Wed May 15, 2013 1:26 pm

Do you know what make and model the router is? If its a 1/4" router it may not be man enough to run 1/2" bits without killing the router.

If it is a regular process it would be worth getting descent quality bits as you'll quickly go through the cheap ones. You most likely get a better finish off the better ones too leaving you less work to do after.

lynx
Very Regular Poster

Post by lynx » Wed May 15, 2013 1:42 pm

Buy new router, go on, we want to see shiny new tools
LyNx

sijandy

Post by sijandy » Thu May 16, 2013 5:44 am

mickthetree wrote:Do you know what make and model the router is? If its a 1/4" router it may not be man enough to run 1/2" bits without killing the router.

If it is a regular process it would be worth getting descent quality bits as you'll quickly go through the cheap ones. You most likely get a better finish off the better ones too leaving you less work to do after.
Ones a 'extreme tools' and the other is the b n q homebrand range - both cheap s*** but i think the b n q is of slighlty better quality. Both 1/4" collets. So can you get 1/4" to 1/2" adapters then for 1/4" routers? I'm pretty confident they'll be able to handle it cos the wood i'm working with is Paulawnia (like balsa) and i'm only making shallow cuts 2-4mm. It's a regular process but not a frequent one and finish is not important so it really isn't worth spending the money on decent kit. Cheapest/easiest way to get a straight cutting 30-40mm diam bit on a 1/4" collet cheap router...all ears

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Thu May 16, 2013 6:38 am

I've never seen a 1/4" to 1/2" adapter. Think about it. Your router collet accepts, what, about 30mm of router bit shank. So you're looking to stick a 30mm length of steel inside it. But that length of steel now has to have another 30mm or more so that you can put your 1/2" bit inside it. So the practicality is that even when your router is fully raised, you;re going to have a large chunk of router bit still sticking out of the base. How does that work with your jig?

I think the idea is plain daft and unsafe.

Bite the bullet. Get a cheapie 1/2" router.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

sijandy

Post by sijandy » Thu May 16, 2013 7:18 am

I have thought about it, it would almost be advantagous with my jig as i have been getting right to the depth limit anyway so the extra length would be benefitial. I'm not getting another router so am still looking for a solution to my conundrum and if it's not doable then i'll have to stick with the 20mm cutter.

jrm
Subscriber

Post by jrm » Thu May 16, 2013 8:04 am

Such an adaptor does not exist for good reasons. Investing more and more money into a cheap router is throwing good money after bad. The thing is with routers, the tooling adds up to many more times the cost of the router in the end so you may as well get the best you can to start with. I've done exactly what you are describing to produce a curved slab of wood but I was using a 1/2" router with a large bit. I wouldn't inflict that punishment on a decent 1/4" router let alone a cheap, Chinese, throw-away B&Q job. If you don't have any long tem plans for the router you can sell it on and recoup a lot of the original expense, probably at a similar overall cost to the cheap router plus chasing after gizmos and special bits to make the plan work.

John

limacchina

Post by limacchina » Mon May 20, 2013 6:12 am

sijandy wrote:Hi, i'm after a large plunger/mortising bit for my router but having difficulty finding anything. My router is 1/4in collet so i gues that limits me on size but so far 20mm the biggest i could find. The intended use, so you know what i'm after, is for a chain driven profiler i have built. It is essentially a way of reducing thickness off sheets of timber for making kiteboards. Basically the timber sits between two rails while my router positioned on a bridge runs up and down the rails profiling the boards. With 500mm boards and a 20mm router bit that 25 passes up and down, so within reason the bigger the better. Something in the 30-40mm range would be good. The timber im using is Paulawnia and i only cut into it up to about 3mm so i rekon the router could handle up to about 40mm before it began to struggle? I have found a couple of bits that would be okay but there from the US and the shipping is twice the value of the bit itself. Any help or advice on this would be very much appreciated. Cheers.
HI Sijandy,

I may have the bit you need. Please give me your email address and I will send the drawing of the bit to you.
LIMAC CNC Router, knife cutting machine, laser engraver, laser cutting machine, plasma cutting machine
http://www.limac.cc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;