tools a carpenter is expected to have??

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
ambespokewoodcrafts

tools a carpenter is expected to have??

Postby ambespokewoodcrafts » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:46 am

Hi all i am wanting to know what hand & power tools a site carpenter in the uk is expected to own when going for a job?
I am a city & guilds level 1 qualified in carpentry & joinery & in employment as a bespoke kitchen/bedroom fitter which also includes carpentry jobs such as stud walls/skirting/door hanging/linings etc.... i am about to start night college to complete my level 2 in carpentry. I have been employed in the industry since july 2013 & am 30 yrs old.

I have started to compile a tool kit. Such as power drills & hand tools. But my big question is when applying for a job that states carpenter wanted for 1st & 2nd fix carpentry, must have own tools, van & ppe. What tools am i minimum expected to have & what tools should a contractor/employer have to hand.

Many thanks to all who reply.

A

jfc
Administrator

Re: tools a carpenter is expected to have??

Postby jfc » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:06 pm

Ive never done big site work so cant comment on that but for house bashing and smaller scale refurbs you will be expected to have the full kit . It didn't used to be like that but with everyone and his dog owning a chop saw and a cordless screw driver its just expected now . Having said that with the full kit you can expect to be paid top money .

mattty
Subscriber

Postby mattty » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:28 pm

The minimum i would expect a chippy to have-

Full set of handtools. Though you wont need loads as most site work is fist fix or 2nd fixing pre made products.

Spirit levels
Brush and shovel

Chop saw
SDS drill
Cordless drill
Planer
Circular saw
Jigsaw
Router
1st fix nail gun
2nd fix nail gun
Transformer
Leads
Site light

Glue, nails, screws, plugs, and a few other ancillary bits.
Cheers, Matt.

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:31 pm

And for site work I think I'm right in saying you will have to have 110v kit. In addition to Matty's list, I'd add things like step ladders and saw horses. For the circular saw, I'd seriously look at a track saw as in the long term it will save you a lot of time eg. for trimming doors or cutting worktops.

ambespokewoodcrafts

Postby ambespokewoodcrafts » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:45 pm

Thanks guys. I want to be employable both for a construction site & domestic dwellings. I understand that i need 110v tools & a transformer for use on construction sites or cordless tools. Are domestic chippys meant to use 110v in domestic work? If im relatively new to the industry (which i am) am i gonna lose out on work if i dont own a chopsaw as the 110v ones are like £400 onwards.

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:38 pm

I don't do any site work - all my work away from the workshop is domestic and a little bit of commercial work and 240v kit is fine for that. The only 110v piece of kit I have is a big bosch breaker which I got for a silly price on ebay and included the transformer. However if you plan on doing both site work and domestic you will have to have 110v kit as you won't be able to take 240v tools on site. For a site chippy, a decent SCMS (something like the Makita LS1013 perhaps) would be essential I'd have thought both for 1st and 2nd fix. Have a look on ebay - you might find something local to you that still has some life left in it. this one doesn't look too bad http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAKITA-LS1013-CHOP-SAW-IN-GOOD-USED-CONDITION-/271300648724?pt=UK_Home_Power_Tools&hash=item3f2ac75f14

ambespokewoodcrafts

Postby ambespokewoodcrafts » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:05 pm

Thanks will have a look!!

MJ80
Subscriber

Postby MJ80 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:19 pm

The most important thing is a mastic gun and tubes and tubes of gripfill

Return to “Power Tools and Machinery”