Bandsaws

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
justaskin
Occasional Poster

Bandsaws

Post by justaskin » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:15 am

Hi All
I am in the process of getting a new bandsaw. I have been asking a question 5 different suppliers and I am not convinced by their answers. Their answers range from cheapness to it seems a good idea
I notice that there seem to be 2 types of blade guides, roller bearing and pressure pads.
Can anyone give a reason to which are the most efficient please?
with kind regards

promhandicam

Re: Bandsaws

Post by promhandicam » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:04 am

Welcome to the forum. In answer to your question, some would say that a properly set up bandsaw if used properly doesn't need guides as the blade shouldn't actually touch them. FWIW, my startrite has solid carbide tipped guides.

George Fisher
Occasional Poster

Post by George Fisher » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:08 pm

My Minimax has bearing guides but they are all gummed up with resin and dust and really should be replaced, that said it cuts just fine. Having a sharp blade makes by far the biggest difference to performance.

woodpecker
Occasional Poster

Post by woodpecker » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:40 pm

promhandicam wrote:some would say that a properly set up bandsaw if used properly doesn't need guides as the blade shouldn't actually touch them.
Not even the backstop guide?

Richard

Mike Jordan
Occasional Poster

Post by Mike Jordan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:38 pm

I bought a £1000 new bandsaw which had ball bearings below the table to guide the blade. The bearings were arranged side by side and the blade passed between them with just a little clearance. All was well until a small piece of timber dropped through the table aperture and fell between the rollers which acted as a pinch and whipped the small bit of timber through, this smashed the alloy casting that the bearing were mounted on.
A spare part was sent FOC and I've now had the saw for five years without repeating the failure by being careful to keep the table insert a good fit round the blade.
If I buy another saw I will ensure that this defect in design is not part of it!
My vote goes for blocks below the table.

justaskin
Occasional Poster

Post by justaskin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:20 am

Hi All
Thank you for all the very constructive comments, also some of others, pit falls of rollers.
My 1 year old band Jet saw has had to have 8 track bearing due to preparing timber for turning the old ones were metal disc sealed not rubber, 1 pinched bearing with a sliver of timber has distorted the bearing holder so they are not running parallel to each other.
Say no more.
Regards to all
Richard