Planner knife setting jigs

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
Tom1989

Planner knife setting jigs

Postby Tom1989 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:35 pm

Hi Everyone,

The time has come to replace my planner/thicknesser blades (kity 439) and I'm absolutely dreading it! I usually spend hours with my verities straight edge trying to get the blades flush with the out feed table. The issue I encounter is that the blades are being pushed out by springs, which makes trying to get each end of the knife level an absolute nightmare. Is there some sort of jig that I can use that actually works. I looked at the Axminster jig but it has bad reviews. Any advice wood be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

jfc
Administrator

Re: Planner knife setting jigs

Postby jfc » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:21 pm

siafins
Subscriber

Postby siafins » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:42 pm

Im sure Kity used to sell a planer knife setting jig which was very easy to use, it sat on the outfeed bed with markers for edge of the bed and then the knife would push up to the other mark.

I had one years ago but it went with the planer thicknesser. If i remember right there was a member on here a few months ago asking what was the attachment in the image, it was a Kity planer knife setting jig and went on ebay.

Roger-M
Subscriber

Postby Roger-M » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:18 pm

jfc wrote:I think quite a few on here including myself use these ... http://www.recordpower-thetoolshop.com/acatalog/RPPSJ_Planer_Knife_Setting_Jig__pair_.html

Are those the same as these? Looks very similar, and quite a bit cheaper.
Cheers, Roger

Louis84
Occasional Poster

Postby Louis84 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:53 pm

I've just purchased these which are currently on offer..

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworkin ... ta+dkpnjig

Arrived yesterday and haven't had a chance to try it but reviews seem pretty good
Measure twice, measure thrice, cut once, glue a bit back on, cut again, bit of filler, done

senior
Subscriber

Postby senior » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:10 pm

Bit of stick........
Have a look at my facebook page and leave a comment or two.
Or browse my website Hand made kitchens Essex

Neil_C
Subscriber

Postby Neil_C » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:25 pm

Louis84 wrote:Arrived yesterday and haven't had a chance to try it but reviews seem pretty good

I assume that you're referring to reviews on the Rutlands site. I bet if you spend all weekend looking, you won't find a single bad review for any of their equipment.

Now it's either all brilliant or, perhaps, they don't post the bad reviews.
Cheers,

Neil

JonR
Occasional Poster

Postby JonR » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:37 pm

http://www.axminster.co.uk/planer-blade-setting-jig

only one review on there, not a good one tho.

I got these for Crimbo

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-de ... etting-jig

not used them yet but will be changing blades tomorrow...will update you.

Tom1989

Postby Tom1989 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:28 pm

Is the planer setting jig on Axminster the exact same as the one sold by record power? According to the review on Axminster, the build quality is rubbish. I will try and source the original jig for Kity if all else fails.

Micmoc
Occasional Poster

Postby Micmoc » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:36 pm

I use the bit of stick too,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roger-M
Subscriber

Postby Roger-M » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:43 pm

2 lollipop sticks with parallel lines drawn 3mm apart across them. Simples!
Cheers, Roger

Doug
Subscriber

Postby Doug » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:47 pm

I used to use a dial gauge & magnetic base, works well & is very accurate.

jfc
Administrator

Postby jfc » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:07 pm

Roger-M wrote:
jfc wrote:I think quite a few on here including myself use these ... http://www.recordpower-thetoolshop.com/acatalog/RPPSJ_Planer_Knife_Setting_Jig__pair_.html

Are those the same as these? Looks very similar, and quite a bit cheaper.

They look the same .

jake
Subscriber

Postby jake » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:46 pm

Doug wrote:I used to use a dial gauge & magnetic base, works well & is very accurate.

I bought all the stuff for that, used it a few times and reverted to the bit of stick method as it is so much less fuss than making sure you have got the measurement of TDC etc. I then measured the effect of stick method using said expensive Mitutoyo digital etc set-up and (on a not very scientific test) it seemed amazingly precise and repeatably so.

I think I can hear the ghost of Grim jeering at me for spending out on stuff which is not made of stick.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:10 pm

senior wrote:Bit of stick........

+1
with two pencil lines at 1/8" apart. Place stick with first line on edge of in-feed table rotate block till second line drops on infeed-feed table (same spot as first line). Adjust until both sides match. Benefit = £30+ in your pocket rather than a retailer.

Doug
Subscriber

Postby Doug » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:28 am

jake wrote:
Doug wrote:I used to use a dial gauge & magnetic base, works well & is very accurate.

I bought all the stuff for that, used it a few times and reverted to the bit of stick method as it is so much less fuss than making sure you have got the measurement of TDC etc. I then measured the effect of stick method using said expensive Mitutoyo digital etc set-up and (on a not very scientific test) it seemed amazingly precise and repeatably so.

I think I can hear the ghost of Grim jeering at me for spending out on stuff which is not made of stick.

I just marked the table, then each time I set the knives I only had to clamp a straight edge to the mark, run the magnetic base against the straight edge & I had TDC straight away so not that much of a fuss.
My main reason for the dial gauge though was my thicknesser block was about 5 thou out from side to side when referenced against the bed, the easiest thing was to adjust the knives to make up this discrepancy.

As for Grim, he's busy spending money on equipment to burn sticks :lol:

siafins
Subscriber

Postby siafins » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:30 am

senior wrote:Bit of stick........

+1 if theres any left from stirring stuff :lol:

The difficulty for the original poster is that the blades are spring loaded on Kity, the Kity jig uses the the same method as the stick but keeps the blades down with its weight. A homemade jig or heavy stick would do the same job.

nickw
Subscriber

Postby nickw » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:42 am

A slight aside, but I have a warning and a recommendation for Hammer/Felder users.

First the warning. There are some cheap(er) planer blades available from Woodford Woodworking that have been advertised in some of the mags. Don't waste your money. The location holes on the ones I got were slightly too small and not consistently or accurately placed on the centreline. The blades finished up with some of them cutting too deeply and others not cutting at all (i.e. below the level of the outfeed table), and some cutting on one side and not the other.

The recommendation. I've just had my machines serviced by Felder for the first time (in 10 years :oops:), and the finish I'm now getting from the P/T is unrecognisable from what I was getting before (even with new genuine blades).
Nick Webb, Fine Furniture, Cambridge
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Banjamin Franklin

MikeJ

Postby MikeJ » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:45 pm

Those magnetic blade setters can't be used on the Kity 439, you can't get the beds far enough apart for them to sit on the block, I don't use any fancy jigs of bits of stick, just a piece of glass and set the blades level with the outfeed table, no snip just good clean cuts.

Mike

Return to “Power Tools and Machinery”