spindle moulder help

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
simonburrows

spindle moulder help

Post by simonburrows » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:55 pm

Hi

I have a second hand Axminster AW30S spindle moulder. I want to take off the spindle to use it with a collet so I can fit router bits in it.

Any ideas

Simon

jrm
Subscriber

Re: spindle moulder help

Post by jrm » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:34 pm

Hi Simon, I've never owned one but I suspect all these types of US style 'shapers' are similar. The spindle is locked in place using a threaded bar from underneath. To remove it, you would need to hold the spindle with a spanner on top (unless it has some sort of spindle lock) while loosening the nut below. Take the bottom nut off and the spindle and bar should come away. The bottom of the spindle will be tapered to fit into a matching seat. The router collet is the same shape and is simply inserted in place of the full spindle and locked on with the collet nut. As I say, I'm not wholly sure that the above is correct with regard to your particular model and apologies if none of this makes sense in that case.

John

promhandicam

Post by promhandicam » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:28 pm

simonburrows wrote:Hi

I have a second hand Axminster AW30S spindle moulder. I want to take of the spindle to use it with a collet so I can fit router bits in it.

Any ideas

Simon
Hi Simon. Why not give Axminster tech support a call to find out if what you want to do is possible. I know that some machines come with an adapter for router bits but the problem is that unless they are large diameter cutters then the spindle speed will be far too slow to get a good finish. 

ace
Occasional Poster

Post by ace » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:07 am