The very best cordless drill money can buy?

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
NeedDrillAdvice

The very best cordless drill money can buy?

Post by NeedDrillAdvice » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:34 pm

Looking for the best cordless drill, I have no allegiance to one particular brand. Really just searching for that product with the best of battery life, performance and features.

From personal research this new release from Ryobi is looking like the ultimate in cordless drilling. With hammer drill capabilities and a design that sounds like it's comfortable to hold/use. It's called the Ryobi 18V One+ Brushless Drill and is £129.

Can anyone suggest similar other options, I need to purchase one by mid February for a big project.

(Moderator: Edited to remove link)

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Re: The very best cordless drill money can buy?

Post by Jonathan » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:37 pm

Last month I was fitting a cabinet with my festool TXS "which I love" and a 18 v milawaky "which I cant spell,and dont like" drill and the very helpful customer I was working for thought I would be quicker if I had another drill. Now he comes back with his very new luminous green 18v royobi and suggests I try using it.
Now sometimes when you pulled the trigger it worked other times you had to bang the battery to get a response.
I handed it back to the customer with a big smile on my face and told him it was a lovely drill and thank you very much...........

tusses
Subscriber

Post by tusses » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:49 pm

my (cheapy) 24v "Direct Power" drill driver , from screwfix, came with 2 batteries .. about 15 years ago .. one battery had just about given up .. the other is fine ... it wasabout £40 at the time AFAICR
it depends what you use it for, and how much !
I still use mine every day

tusses
Subscriber

Post by tusses » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:54 pm

is this a sneaky attempt at an add ??? :-D

senior
Subscriber

Post by senior » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:26 pm

tusses wrote:is this a sneaky attempt at an add ??? :-D

Yes just spam from a sh*t website. I think if we all say how shitty www.slinkystudio.info is then we may be able to get shitty slinkystudio to the top of the search engine.
Have a look at my facebook page and leave a comment or two.
Or browse my website Hand made kitchens Essex

NeedDrillAdvice

Post by NeedDrillAdvice » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:34 pm

tusses wrote:my (cheapy) 24v "Direct Power" drill driver , from screwfix, came with 2 batteries .. about 15 years ago .. one battery had just about given up .. the other is fine ... it wasabout £40 at the time AFAICR
it depends what you use it for, and how much !
I still use mine every day
I saw a cordless drill in Lidl a while back for around this price. Probably really good and made in Germany, however stock revolves in Lidl and I have no idea if/when they will restock? Would be nice to see what these cheaper ones are like.

mark270981
Subscriber

Post by mark270981 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:05 am

Do you think on the AV Forums his name is NEEDEARPHONEADVICE or on bakery forums INEEDBLENDERADVICE
--------------------------------------------------------------
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

Andys Woodshed
Administrator

Post by Andys Woodshed » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:01 am

NeedDrillAdvice wrote:Looking for the best cordless drill, I have no allegiance to one particular brand. Really just searching for that product with the best of battery life, performance and features.

From personal research this new release from Ryobi is looking like the ultimate in cordless drilling. With hammer drill capabilities and a design that sounds like it's comfortable to hold/use. It's called the Ryobi 18V One+ Brushless Drill and is £129: http://www.slinkystudio.info/reviews/ry ... ill-review

Can anyone suggest similar other options, I need to purchase one by mid February for a big project.
The £129 only gets you the drill body you then have to purchase the charger and battery separately (£99 for the 5Ah) therefore putting you in the Makita/Dewalt/Bosch(Blue) league

NeedDrillAdvice

Post by NeedDrillAdvice » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:38 am

mark270981 wrote:Do you think on the AV Forums his name is NEEDEARPHONEADVICE or on bakery forums INEEDBLENDERADVICE
This has to be the most unwelcoming forum I have ever posted within. I do in fact need drill advice and picked a username to post one question. I work in the midlands making sculptures from wood and rarely need to reach for a drill that often. However due to the nature of a design, I have a large project in the pipeline that will need to us a drill for frequently. I don't fancy a chord destroying it and want the freedom of cordless.

NeedDrillAdvice

Post by NeedDrillAdvice » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:40 am

Andys Woodshed wrote:
NeedDrillAdvice wrote:Looking for the best cordless drill, I have no allegiance to one particular brand. Really just searching for that product with the best of battery life, performance and features.

From personal research this new release from Ryobi is looking like the ultimate in cordless drilling. With hammer drill capabilities and a design that sounds like it's comfortable to hold/use. It's called the Ryobi 18V One+ Brushless Drill and is £129: http://www.slinkystudio.info/reviews/ry ... ill-review

The £129 only gets you the drill body you then have to purchase the charger and battery separately (£99 for the 5Ah) therefore putting you in the Makita/Dewalt/Bosch(Blue) league
Yes I understand the initial investment, it does seem quite steep. Does anyone have any suggestions of similar battery life and performance for a lower price?

promhandicam

Post by promhandicam » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:28 pm

What drill bits will you be using or what size holes will you be drilling? The best cordless for drilling 3mm holes in plywood is a very different machine to the best one for drilling 50mm diameter holes 100mm deep into oak. In general, I still think Hilti make the best drills, and Ryobi would be towards the bottom of quite a long list.

tusses
Subscriber

Post by tusses » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:01 pm

NeedDrillAdvice wrote:
mark270981 wrote:Do you think on the AV Forums his name is NEEDEARPHONEADVICE or on bakery forums INEEDBLENDERADVICE
This has to be the most unwelcoming forum I have ever posted within. I do in fact need drill advice and picked a username to post one question. I work in the midlands making sculptures from wood and rarely need to reach for a drill that often. However due to the nature of a design, I have a large project in the pipeline that will need to us a drill for frequently. I don't fancy a chord destroying it and want the freedom of cordless.
TBH .. that would sound like you've been on a few ?
if so .. you should know the routine !
Introduce yourself
Real name .. where you are based etc !

you would also be aware of all the spam that forums get .. form people who make up names and add a link to a product !

so maybe think again about your approach to this forum .. and your post above ?

if you are real .. suck it up and smile ! :-)

if you are spam .. go away ! lol

and .. if you are real .. stick around :-)

I'm sure you get what it's all about ;-)

NeedDrillAdvice

Post by NeedDrillAdvice » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:11 pm

promhandicam wrote:What drill bits will you be using or what size holes will you be drilling? The best cordless for drilling 3mm holes in plywood is a very different machine to the best one for drilling 50mm diameter holes 100mm deep into oak. In general, I still think Hilti make the best drills, and Ryobi would be towards the bottom of quite a long list.
I've just browsed the Hilti website, never heard of this brand before bit like what they offer. Seems quite specific though. I now have the Ryobi and am really impressed with the power and battery life (made a large flatpack)! Tested hammer drilling with a 210mm bit into oak which it flew through in comparison to an 8 year old corded Bosch I have. Quite surprised in all and know it's the right tool for my upcoming project. Thanks for your help, but this forum has some very unfriendly members!

NeedDrillAdvice

Post by NeedDrillAdvice » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:20 pm

tusses wrote:
NeedDrillAdvice wrote:
TBH .. that would sound like you've been on a few ?
if so .. you should know the routine !
Introduce yourself
Real name .. where you are based etc !

you would also be aware of all the spam that forums get .. form people who make up names and add a link to a product !

so maybe think again about your approach to this forum .. and your post above ?

if you are real .. suck it up and smile ! :-)

if you are spam .. go away ! lol

and .. if you are real .. stick around :-)

I'm sure you get what it's all about ;-)
I undertand. It just felt like this was the BBC for a second :) In all honesty I have actually never posted to a forum before, but have read many and have never seen anyone receive so much negativity to a question was all. But again I do understand that spam is annoying - but people are getting a bit paranoid :)

tusses
Subscriber

Post by tusses » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:38 pm

once you've been around the forums you will see why new posts are dealt with skepticism .. not paranoid at all !

you really should use a better name, rather than a "hit and run name" .. like you just have one question then you are off !
Forums are about hanging around and joining in

Have you said your real name and location yet ? and what you do, projects etc ?
.. I'll have to have a read back though if I've missed it

tusses
Subscriber

Post by tusses » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:20 pm

NeedDrillAdvice wrote: This has to be the most unwelcoming forum I have ever posted within. ....
NeedDrillAdvice wrote:.... In all honesty I have actually never posted to a forum before, ....

????

NeedDrillAdvice

Post by NeedDrillAdvice » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:08 pm

tusses wrote:
NeedDrillAdvice wrote: This has to be the most unwelcoming forum I have ever posted within. ....
NeedDrillAdvice wrote:.... In all honesty I have actually never posted to a forum before, ....

????
As I have a cordless drill now this can thread can be closed/deleted.

Tomyjoiner
Subscriber

Post by Tomyjoiner » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:47 am

Seems a nice sort of chap......

mark270981
Subscriber

Post by mark270981 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:27 pm

tusses wrote:

????
LMAO........I hope he sold lots of drills!!

But for the record you can't go wrong with Bench jobber drill for that kind of thing, we have metabo's.
--------------------------------------------------------------
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

promhandicam

Post by promhandicam » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:17 pm

So NeedDrillAdvice, what drill did you choose in the end?

nickw
Subscriber

Post by nickw » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:29 pm

The BBC, on this program http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... -episode-4, reckon the very best is a Bosch. A green one FFS! :-D What a waste of licence payers' money.
Nick Webb, Fine Furniture, Cambridge
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Banjamin Franklin

jake
Subscriber

Post by jake » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:03 pm

SDS-Max would be more best for hammer drilling oak.

will1983

Post by will1983 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:57 pm

nickw wrote:The BBC, on this program http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... -episode-4, reckon the very best is a Bosch. A green one FFS! :-D What a waste of licence payers' money.

LMAO, i saw that rubbish to.

For the record i have a Hitachi from screwfix when it was on offer at £99 including a charger unit and two batteries, used it loads and like it.. plenty powerful enough for me, nice and light and the batteries charge pretty quickly.

I might even get another when they are next on offer as it annoys me having to change back and forth between the drill bit, the countersink and the screwdriver bits.
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website