Sedgwick Parts

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Sedgwick Parts

Postby rhrwilliams » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:14 pm

Hi all, I have recently acquired a Sedgwick SM4 (I think its a SM4 anyway) as it was cheap and I couldst resist, Its fantastic, its a quantum leap ahead of my smaller startrite T30 spindle moulder.

Is missing the locking handle on the front and a couple of minor other bits. Not having the locking handle is annoying as I cant get the shaft off to screw on the router bit shaft with it.

Does anyone know where I can get parts , or can someone advise if the locking pin is just a 10mm bit of threaded bar ? If its just threaded bar i will make one. I didn't want to just screw threaded bar in in case I damaged it.

Thanks

siafins
Subscriber

Re: Sedgwick Parts

Postby siafins » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:08 pm

Looks like an SM4 to me, nice machine!.

You could use some threaded bar to lock it if its like the SM3, Scott & Sargeant did sell a range of locking handles etc, maybe in Axminster catalogue. If you ring Sedgwick they would sell you parts but I doubt they'd be cheap!

I cant find my manual at the moment otherwise you coukd have a copy!

siafins
Subscriber

Postby siafins » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:12 pm

[quote="siafins"]Looks like an SM4 to me, nice machine!.

You could use some threaded bar to lock it if its like the SM3, Scott & Sargeant did sell a range of locking handles etc, maybe in Axminster catalogue. If you ring Sedgwick they would sell you parts but I doubt they'd be cheap!

I cant find my manual at the moment otherwise you could have a copy!

siafins
Subscriber

Postby siafins » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:13 pm

I cant find my manual at the moment otherwise you could have a copy![/quote]

siafins
Subscriber

Postby siafins » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:13 pm

I cant find my manual at the moment otherwise you could have a copy!

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:53 pm

Thanks for the reply. If its just threaded bar I can just buy some. I was worried though it would indent the shaft if the real one had a pin hole or something to lock shaft.

siafins
Subscriber

Postby siafins » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:05 pm

Im fairly sure its just a threaded bar, can check tomorrow for you.

Thats pivoting arm for the sliding carriage probably has broken the handle on the up and wheel!!

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:30 pm

Thanks very much

siafins
Subscriber

Postby siafins » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:41 pm

You can lock the shaft by opening the side door, there's an 8mm hole on the casting below the pulley's, you should have a piece of I think its 8mm bar with a slight bend in it to lock it.

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:35 pm

I tried that, but it just bends the bar! The spindle is locked on the shaft pretty tight. Im beginning to think it won't come of.

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:36 pm

Ive also noticed on closer inspection the locking pin will not work as there is a sheered of bolt in there. You cant see the shaft spinning through the hole only a bit of metal

siafins
Subscriber

Postby siafins » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:53 pm

By what you've said I think you'll have to take the shaft out to remove the broken locking pin. There's a long bolt running from the bottom of the pulleys upwards.

Its happened once with me that the belt pulley has misaligned on the shaft or dropped down slightly. The locking pin goes through a hole in the pulley and the shaft, they must be aligned.

ja2_k

Postby ja2_k » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:19 pm

I might be missing something here but im sure the locking lever that's missing on the front just locks the up and down movement of the rise and fall. The locking of the actual spindle shaft is either by two spanner's or a pin inserted in the spindle

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:04 pm

I phoned Sedgwick today to get a manual (one in the post now). There are REALLY helpful at Sedgwick , I spoke to a guy there who really knew these machines and he asked me what the issues were and offered to talk me through how to sort ! Cant beat that especially as the machines 25 years old and I only really phoned up to but a manual.

Anyway, the man I spoke to explain the following (as Siafins said)
- The spindle is secured on by a grub screw and locking rod under the spindle pulley
- If you release the locking rod, the spindle will come off
- My spindle will not come off as he said its likely jammed as its an old machine.

I removed the locking nut pin but the spindle is jammed on...I tried persuading it out with a hammer but had no luck, it just started pushing the pulley off.

Im going to wait for the manual, check I have not missed a trick and go again.

If anyone wants a SM4 manual let me know and ill post a link up to it

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:34 pm

I got this manual and it appears from the manual and what the man from Sedgwick said that the spindle is just mounted on a shaft by friction

I cannot remove this thing for love nor money

Anyone got any ideas ??? I've tried levering it off, pulling it ,jacking it off with car jack , praising it off with tyre levels ,

siafins
Subscriber

Postby siafins » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:10 pm

It should come out freely?

Other than perhaps push as much penetrating fluid as you can down and let it soak overnight. If its that stuck there is probably a good reason.

Is the speed pulley off. You mentioned the locking pin had snapped in the shaft? Is the shaft damaged around there or any pin protruding?

JonR
Occasional Poster

Postby JonR » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:44 pm

Try a blow torch or hot air stripper on the outer part, heat may expand it enough to crack it.

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:23 pm

Thanks for replies guys.

You cant put oil / fluid in it as it sits in a shaft, if you spray it underneath it won't get to the shaft.

I can take the pulley wheel (which is at the base of the main shaft) off but that won't release the top bit which is a "loose spindle" which sits on top of the main spindle.

John - I did heat it and used 1/2 can of gas in my plumbing blow torch and it did bugger all, its thick steel so perhaps a plumbing blow torch not man enough. I can get another bottle of gas and try that again if you think thats a goer.

Im at my whits end with this bloody spindle !

siafins
Subscriber

Postby siafins » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:30 pm

Could put up or send me a diagram in the manual of the spindle section, or a phone image? it may remind how I did it? I can't find my copy!

JonR
Occasional Poster

Postby JonR » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:08 am

On top of the shaft in the above piccy is that the lock nut thread i can see or is there a thread inside the shaft with a locking rod, also what is the diameter of the flange on the bottom of the shaft ? i have an idea you can call or i can try and get that across on here.

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:27 am

If you click the picture it will open my photo bucket and I have taken a few pics of manual

There is a collet with two holes in it which does look like a locking pin . I can't get this free either though and man from Sedgwick says this does not release spindle

I think man from Sedgwick could be wrong . Ang ideas how to get locking collet free ? I modified an angle grinder blade changing tool and that wouldn't move it. Also tried hammering it off with a drift.

The saga continues

I can give you a call Jon , much appreciated Wont call you now though as it's Sunday morning as I type !!!!

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:02 pm

ITS DONE ! Im very happy.

I phoned Jon who suggested putting the block on and tightening it against a piece of tube against the top of the bearing then whacking the bolt from underneath too. I did that and it worked.

Jon you are the hero of the day !

The router spindle I have doesn't bloody fit though after all that and is too small, so going to get a engineering place to make me a bush for it. I cant be defeated especially not after all the agro I've had with this.

JonR
Occasional Poster

Postby JonR » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:09 pm

No problem, glad to help.

scosarg

Postby scosarg » Wed May 04, 2016 5:35 pm

That's either a late GW or an early SM3 ... model and serial no is usually stamped on the back right hand corner of the table.

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Wed May 04, 2016 8:42 pm

Got it all sorted in the end. It's a SM4 seriel number stamped on back of table as you said

Return to “Power Tools and Machinery”