Which panel saw ?

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
JonR
Occasional Poster

Which panel saw ?

Post by JonR » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:18 am

I am looking at buying one and would appreciate any opinions on yours if you have one or have had one from new or used and problems to look for, i have just coughed up a sum for a Felder planer/thicknesser so am reluctant to pay out another lump but would not rule it out so my price bracket is broad ish. A saw/spindle combi is also an option but have mixed thoughts on that type.

There is this one on Ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172088737172? ... EBIDX%3AIT

I have bought off him before and can trade in a couple of bits of kit too which would be handy, its Italian and i know nothing of them, the price wont skint me but it needs to be good enough and of course accurate.

Over to you good people ......

Mbcarpentry

Re: Which panel saw ?

Post by Mbcarpentry » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:12 am

Can't help you just yet but will be getting a Hammer winner k3 saw at the end of the month i'l let you know how it is but don't think I will be disappointed as i already have the hammer planer/thicknesser and 4400 band saw and have been very impressed with both machines in both build quality and performance. The only down side is the initial cost of the machines but as soon he old saying goes you get what you pay for and I have been lucking buying 2nd hand on the bandsaw and the k3 getting both machines for just slightly over half there original price and only 2 and 3 years old.

promhandicam

Post by promhandicam » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:59 am

I've got a Felder saw spindle which I bought second hand from a forum member. It's one of the best investments I've made as it is so accurate. I don't use the spindle much, and if I did more joinery and had the space I would definitely go for separate machines but for me with limited space it is ideal.

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Post by Jonathan » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:48 pm

I have the same as Steve (felder KF 700) If you pay for quality machines you won't ever regret it !! you buy cheep poor quality stuff you end up complaining about it.... which way you go is your choice.
If you have the space I would definitely go separates....

Jonathan

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:02 am

Another vote for Felder, I had a Scheppach but it wasn't consistently accurate enough to make cabinets.
Keith

podengo
Occasional Poster

Post by podengo » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:43 pm

I would expect lazzari to be very good quality, they are a good italian brand. Of course it depends how much use the machine has had and how well its been looked after.

Altendorf and martin are prob the leaders, then the italian brands like SCM, casolin, sicar, lazzari etc. All very capable machines in a similar league to felder.

PABLO123
Subscriber

Post by PABLO123 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:04 pm

SCM for me, I have four of their machines, cant fault them
Paul

JonR
Occasional Poster

Post by JonR » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:10 pm

Thanks all for the input.

senior
Subscriber

Post by senior » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:41 pm

A good Altendorf can be bought for about 5k. I bought a 2005 WA80 in 2010, perfect, do me for the next 20 years. I still believe Altendorf and Martin are the rolls Royce and bentley of the panel saws
Have a look at my facebook page and leave a comment or two.
Or browse my website Hand made kitchens Essex