CNC landing page

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
mark270981
Subscriber

CNC landing page

Postby mark270981 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:09 pm

forever in pursuit of doing more sub contract work on the CNC, I have had a new website built as a subsidiary to our main work.

http://www.cre8design.net/cnc-cutting-services/

Would you guys mind offering me a critique on the landing page as linked above - I especially want to be dealing with self employed joiners etc, whether its machining carcases or something fancy so all your input is welcome as I need it to appeal to guys like us.

I have been told that it looks too fancy so therefore would put people off calling due to looking like an expensive service.

Let me know, don't hold back as I strive to improve.

Thanks in advance.
--------------------------------------------------------------
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

tusses
Subscriber

Re: CNC landing page

Postby tusses » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:45 pm

you still got that scorched oak plaque ! seriously !

apart from that .. the beauty of web sites .. you can try anything !

you can run a cheap as chips one along side a 'spensive boutique one with no connection other that the contact details :-)

9fingers
Subscriber

Postby 9fingers » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:42 pm

Something wrong but I'm not clever enough to know what it is.

This is the view I get

hth Bob
Information on induction motors and inverters here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

woodsmith
Subscriber

Postby woodsmith » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:09 am

Trying to look at it on an iPad it took a while to load then only part of the page is visible
Keith

jake
Subscriber

Postby jake » Sun May 01, 2016 10:38 pm

Sorry Mark, but that is a dreadful site - way too busy and incomprehensible. I would have left within a minute if I was a potential customer.

Is that Flash? If so do not pay and sack them.

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Postby Leveller2911 » Mon May 02, 2016 3:50 pm

Agree with 9 fingers,The home screen doesn't look right.

Just my thoughts but I think it needs to be more obvious as to what type of work its promoting ,on the home page. Too much writing and not enough pix for me but I need visual rather than text.

Otherwise I lose interest very quickly................Oh look there's a butterfly....... ;)

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Mon May 02, 2016 4:46 pm

Leveller2911 wrote:...............Oh look there's a butterfly....... ;)

:lol:

so true ! lol :-)

mark270981
Subscriber

Postby mark270981 » Mon May 02, 2016 8:43 pm

Really appreciate the feedback, as to be fair it's you that's it's aimed at.

What would you like to see, and how?

I think the web designer is a great guy and is good at what he does, but this industry s completely new to him and he doesn't really know what appeals to the target market?
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

9fingers
Subscriber

Postby 9fingers » Mon May 02, 2016 9:13 pm

Mark, your man can be forgiven for not knowing about the optimum content for the business type BUT he should know about writing code that loads fast and is compatible with all platforms from old desktops on xp to phones and tablets and all the fruit powered stuff too.
He cannot assume that users will all be on latest kit.

HTH

Bob
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

siafins
Subscriber

Postby siafins » Mon May 02, 2016 9:14 pm

Too busy in my humble opinion Mark. My attention span isn't good when it comes to reading :lol:

I think images would catch people's attention quicker, images of work in progress or what components are you machining up. I think it connects with people quicker and makes potential clients think how it could be of use to them or what is possible.

Dylan.

Sheik Maboutie

Postby Sheik Maboutie » Tue May 03, 2016 8:22 am

What every one else has said, pictures tell a 1000 words, plus that lime green makes my eyeballs ache :shock:

mark270981
Subscriber

Postby mark270981 » Tue May 03, 2016 8:30 am

I am in agreement with you all to be fair.

Bob - he does make the assumption that everyone runs the latest stuff, and admittedly I thought the same but to a lesser extent - I thought my parents were the only ones to run XP?

Dylan - I think you are right, it needs to give the idea that we are approachable too, and putting in simple videos that we do.

Simple is best that's for sure.

I appreciate everyone's view on this, really really helpful.

Thank you
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

york33
Subscriber

Postby york33 » Tue May 03, 2016 9:10 am

I thought your "Submitting your projects" page was more friendly sounding than the landing page, but they first time I looked I didn't see the link to it. I almost wonder whether you need two separate websites to appeal to a different market........

Would you ridicule me for wanting just 2 sheets cut and would it cost me 6million pounds? Is 2 sheets sensible or are you 200 sheets minimum. Before I bought CNCs I looked round at getting a 6 sheet project cut and it was impossible to tell who would be interested in a small run, they all looked big and flashy like your good self :-) Appreciate you may not want to give prices away on your website, but maybe some indication of a sample small project would tempt smaller people in, dunno if that's considered not the done thing? In the end I never got it cut as I didn't get anywhere with my enquiries, had no idea how to do a CAD file, my sketch was not widely appreciated, etc.

mark270981
Subscriber

Postby mark270981 » Tue May 03, 2016 11:50 am

With regards to the work and putting prices on the website, we have to be very careful as whilst they are commercially sensitive to a point potential customers see different values to the service.

I could always say from 20 quid a sheet plus material, plus a set up fee - I don't think people realise just how accurate and time effective a CNC is or
If I said I work on 150 an hour for the running of the CNC, A lot of people would say way too expensive and the bugger off the site - however when we cut one pass at 25m per minute with no tags, then perhaps some would realise that we could cut a sheet in less than 5 minutes, to whatever profile and drilling pattern is required then actually it becomes very cost effective.

I am yet to work out how to effectively market this service and it is irking me!!
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

9fingers
Subscriber

Postby 9fingers » Tue May 03, 2016 1:04 pm

mark270981 wrote:I am in agreement with you all to be fair.

Bob - he does make the assumption that everyone runs the latest stuff, and admittedly I thought the same but to a lesser extent - I thought my parents were the only ones to run XP?

Thank you

Mark,
It is 40 years since I was taught about software writing but even then portability and compatibility of code was being hammered into us as a vital first consideration when writing code that others would use.
I think it is mildly arrogant to think everyone will be running the latest everything and you run the risk of alienating a fair proportion of potential audience if the site does not run properly. Your man needs a suite of PCs and Macs for differing os to rigorously test the code.

NB I possibly am of a similar vintage to your parents (62). I've 7pcs all win xp and networked, auto backup to a NAS drive etc and whilst it all still works I just can't face the thought of all the down time and cost of changing to 64 bit machines and new OS and I have yet to be convinced of the advantage it might bring. No more software updates with XP - Heaven! :lol:

Good Luck

Bob

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Tue May 03, 2016 6:55 pm

lol .. IF , i use windoze , then it's XP for me too !

people you are aiming at are woodworkers .. with useable tools .. not "chavs" with the latest top spec spangly ipads/phones and laptops etc !

I'd be looking for simple pics of the type of work you can do, and an indication of what it would cost.
I NEVER inquire on a site that doesn't post costs !

same as in an antiques shop or craft fair or whatever .. if you have to ask, then I think you will be ripped off, because you are obviously interested !

scosarg

Postby scosarg » Wed May 04, 2016 5:30 pm

The reversed white on green text is hard to read ..

york33
Subscriber

Postby york33 » Thu May 26, 2016 11:26 pm

mark270981 wrote:With regards to the work and putting prices on the website, we have to be very careful as whilst they are commercially sensitive to a point potential customers see different values to the service.

I could always say from 20 quid a sheet plus material, plus a set up fee - I don't think people realise just how accurate and time effective a CNC is or
If I said I work on 150 an hour for the running of the CNC, A lot of people would say way too expensive and the bugger off the site - however when we cut one pass at 25m per minute with no tags, then perhaps some would realise that we could cut a sheet in less than 5 minutes, to whatever profile and drilling pattern is required then actually it becomes very cost effective.

I am yet to work out how to effectively market this service and it is irking me!!

I know what you're saying re. pricing, hence the caution in my reply.

The per sheet price indication is so much more meaningful. I can relate to that so much more. £150 an hour sounds expensive, whilst £20 a sheet doesn't. Even having CNCs, I wouldn't have thought you'd be that sort of price per sheet. Damn, if you'd move yourself somewhere better, like Yorkshire for example, that would be good :-)

Vallybar
Subscriber

Postby Vallybar » Sat May 28, 2016 3:36 pm

Why can't you advertise a rate, we charge £60 per hour with a £60 minimum fee, generally we give a price per part or per job.

9fingers
Subscriber

Postby 9fingers » Sat May 28, 2016 4:56 pm

To me as a potential customer, £x per hour is useless unless I know a measure of your efficiency eg you can cut Y meters of such and such kerf size in the material I want to use in an hour.

Bob

Vallybar
Subscriber

Postby Vallybar » Mon May 30, 2016 2:28 pm

We run an SCM with 20 tool changers 18 drilling heads both verticle and horizontal and a 4th Axis it's as efficient as it gets. That's what we offer for the £60 ph

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Mon May 30, 2016 4:52 pm

I think Bob was pointing out that to the punter wanting some wood cut .. £60 and hour means absolutely nothing !

mark270981
Subscriber

Postby mark270981 » Mon May 30, 2016 8:14 pm

Vallybar wrote:We run an SCM with 20 tool changers 18 drilling heads both verticle and horizontal and a 4th Axis it's as efficient as it gets. That's what we offer for the £60 ph

How much do you charge for creating the tool paths and nesting?
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

Vallybar
Subscriber

Postby Vallybar » Tue May 31, 2016 7:16 pm

£60 ph

Vallybar
Subscriber

Postby Vallybar » Tue May 31, 2016 7:19 pm

tusses wrote:I think Bob was pointing out that to the punter wanting some wood cut .. £60 and hour means absolutely nothing !

I think generally anyone needing CNC works has a smidgen of an idea what a large format machine is capable of.

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Tue May 31, 2016 8:39 pm

Vallybar wrote:
tusses wrote:I think Bob was pointing out that to the punter wanting some wood cut .. £60 and hour means absolutely nothing !

I think generally anyone needing CNC works has a smidgen of an idea what a large format machine is capable of.

In that case I would "respectfully" disagree ! lol

The big boys might .. but the new / or littler setups that have just heard about CNC , and might want to give it a go, have no idea !

and I mean .. ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA !!! :D

9fingers
Subscriber

Postby 9fingers » Tue May 31, 2016 9:15 pm

Precisely!

Bob

Bighat
Occasional Poster

Postby Bighat » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:10 pm

Did you ever get this site up and running? I am after some cnc work doing, so I looked for this today to get in contact with you mark270981, but I cannot find the site?
Cheers,
Ben.

mark270981
Subscriber

Postby mark270981 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:37 pm

Bighat wrote:Did you ever get this site up and running? I am after some cnc work doing, so I looked for this today to get in contact with you mark270981, but I cannot find the site?
Cheers,
Ben.

Hi Ben - currently under review, based on feedback etc I've had the site redesigned.
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

Bighat
Occasional Poster

Postby Bighat » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:37 pm

Can you pm me a contact number (if you are still taking on work of that type that is).
Thanks
Ben

Return to “Power Tools and Machinery”