Jigsaw

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
MJ80
Subscriber

Jigsaw

Postby MJ80 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:57 am

The casting on my dewalt jigsaw has broken where it meets the footplate. Generally i replace gear with festool when it gives up the ghost. However the carvex is pretty pricey and you need an extra base for doing any work on an angle which is another load of money. The 300? series festool is cheaper, but are they really worth the money or should I just stick with dewalt, Bosch ...
After all its just a jigsaw.

furynaturre
Subscriber

Re: Jigsaw

Postby furynaturre » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:03 am

I have had the festool 300 thingy for about 10 years, it's excellent, blade support is good cuts true and reliably. They come up second hand as the fanboys sell them to the get carvex for some reason, not sure why, it's a jigsaw, it's effectively a tool for a pikey!

If you don't want to spring for the Mafell (it is a lot of tokens) which is by all accounts superb and having tried one feels like it will be yours till you croak, then go for either a bosch (I still have my Dads one with extra long alen key for blade changing still as good as the day the bought it in 1756 :lol: ) or the 300 in my opinion

James

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Postby Jonathan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:39 pm

I got one of the old Bosch saws and a carvex, yes the old Bosch will probably still be working in 150 year's time, mainly because I never use the thing since I used a carvex (220 volts)
Friend of mine lent me his 18volt carvex, loved it !!

I always have a hard time parting with the cash to get festool.
I never had a hard time useing them.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:07 pm

Bosch and Makita both make very good jigsaws. I use a Bosch 240v in my workshop and a Makita 110v on site neither have ever let me down. 99.9% of the time I don't find I need a bevel cut with a jigsaw and when I do it's never really that successful, so I would buy a fixed base jigsaw with no problem.

I don't own any Festool tools but the reviews seem to be mostly very positive and professionals seem to like them. For me, the price of Festool tool puts me off as I can always use a competitors tool to do the same work for less money. I think a few years ago Festool did seem miles ahead of the competition and filled a gap in the market but the competition has become more innovative and if you look around you will likely find a good quality tool from one of the mainstream brands that can compete with festool for less money.

Mark

MJ80
Subscriber

Postby MJ80 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:17 pm

I don't think I can justify the festool for a jigsaw. I'm gutted the dewalt is broken. By bevel work, I just have the blade canted over a bit for undercutting scribes on end panels.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:48 pm

Take the base (base only) to a welding shop to see if they can repair it for you. It may be difficult to weld because it is probably cast aluminium but it's possible to do and worth asking how much. Or have you considered looking at buying a new replacement base.

Regards Mark

JonR
Occasional Poster

Postby JonR » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:33 am

http://www.powertoolspares.com/

Try them for the part maybe cheaper than you think, i have bought several parts from them over the years.

MJ80
Subscriber

Postby MJ80 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:57 am

Unfortunately it is the casting of the housing, not the base. It is where the base attaches and it looks like a real weak point given how small it is to accommodate the base adjustment.

tusses
Subscriber

Postby tusses » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:10 pm

it might be fiddly .. but you might be able to get the part and swap everything over ?

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:22 pm

JonR wrote:http://www.powertoolspares.com/

Try them for the part maybe cheaper than you think, i have bought several parts from them over the years.

Very good call :-)

MJ80
Subscriber

Postby MJ80 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:12 am

Good idea
Unfortunately from the drawing it is the gearbox housing which is as you would expect the most expensive part. I think its going to the great toolbox in the sky.

JonR
Occasional Poster

Postby JonR » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:36 pm

Have a look on ebay there could be one on there "for parts not working"

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Postby davidpidge » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:25 pm

I have a few Festool tools but I'm not a huge fan of the Carvex. Mostly it's the on/off switch. I find my fingers are never in a position to switch off after a cut (barrel grip version). Wish I'd known about the 300 version. Cheaper and a traditional sliding switch on the side of the grip! didn't do my research!

MJ80
Subscriber

Postby MJ80 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:30 pm

The 300 is closer in price to the dewalt. I'll have a look into it. I'll probably go for a normal d grip as I one had a Milwaukee with the other grip and boy did I hate that.

Return to “Power Tools and Machinery”