Whitehill Superblock

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
promhandicam

Whitehill Superblock

Postby promhandicam » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:23 pm

Does anyone have a whitehill superblock with 30mm bore or a similar block for moulding cornice that is surplus to requirements? I need to run off some cornice in oak and am considering investing in a dedicated block.

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Re: Whitehill Superblock

Postby Jonathan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:14 am

I have the little beast your looking for, also have the serated one which I find easy'er to use.
What ever beast you go with, unless your used to using big blocks have spare underware on hand! And use a feeder, I tried hand feeding once on a dig cornice, never again......or maybe I'm just a wimp ?

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:57 pm

Thanks Jonathan. I wouldn't dream of doing cornice with anything other than a power feeder, and even with that I may resort to Jason's preferred method of wearing brown trousers to start with and turning the spindle on with a long stick! I've just ordered a new block and cutters from Whitehill as I got a quote from a local timber yard - WL West for 8 linear metres of 100mm x 20mm cornice in Euro Oak which came out at £153.00+vat, collected from our yard with a lead time approx. 9-11 working days, so a no brainer to buy one to do it myself.

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Postby Jonathan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:51 pm

Steve
With big cutters I prefer to start the spindle whilst I'm laying the floor, if it all sounds good, get up gingerly.
I think the most frightening job is breaking through a sacraficial fence with a big cutter, it's a brown trousers and nappies job......

Don't know who you guy's use to make your cutters and limiters.
This guy
http://cutterprofilers.co.uk
Generally knocks them out in 48 hour's.
His prices are very competitive.

Jonathan

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:06 pm

Jonathan wrote:Steve
This guy

Jonathan

I spoke to him on the phone and yes, his prices are very competitive. The only problem I had was that I wanted some 50 x 5.5mm cutters to suit a Wealden block and he didn't have the blanks - my original idea was to get cutters made that would do half a cornice profile and then flip the timber to run the other side of the face - obviously using a profile that was a mirror image.

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Postby Jonathan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:26 am

Steve
I've done what you were original planning with a small cutter, you need to have cuters with the end of the profile rounded off a little. If not your fighting with a horrible line in the centre of the moulding (hope that makes sence)

I have a 98x40 dado I run out regularly, it's done with 2 cutters, it's always difficult to get perfect. The manufacturer of the head would not make it in one piece, said it's way to big.
Most of my profile head's are large 4 blade router heads, 30mm bore, I get them made in Barcelona.

podengo
Occasional Poster

Postby podengo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:06 pm

Jonathan wrote:Steve
With big cutters I prefer to start the spindle whilst I'm laying the floor, if it all sounds good, get up gingerly.
I think the most frightening job is breaking through a sacraficial fence with a big cutter, it's a brown trousers and nappies job......

This guy

Jonathan

I use Paul, really helpful and his turnaround is very quick.

He can do HSS and TCT as well as supply Whitehill blocks.

I get the impression he has a workshop in his garden. Dont let that put you off though, his profile grinder cost £120k and is CNC

Return to “Power Tools and Machinery”