Which Mitre saw and what's the difference

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
legend_of_chaos

Which Mitre saw and what's the difference

Postby legend_of_chaos » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:31 am

Hi guys, probably been done a thousand times but I'd rather ask the experts than buy blind, I'm looking at buying a bosch mitre saw and I've got it down to two models, need to know which one is better and if any of you have the same models what your views on them are, thanks.
The models are as follows

1) Bosch GCM 350-254 

2) Bosch GCM 10 SD

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Re: Which Mitre saw and what's the difference

Postby Meccarroll » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:11 pm

Both machines look very similar in ability and price with the GMC 350-254 coming in with very slightly wider and deeper cutting ability. I would not be taking too much notice of of the slight difference in ability of cut as it's minimal. Variable speed on the GCM 350-254 might be useful.

If I was you I'd want to take a look at each machine to see how easy they are to change from one setting to the other and how dependable the locking mechanisms are/look.

Noise levels are quite important if you are going to be using one for any length of time even if you use ear muffs the sound can become irritating.

Soft start, braking, and all similar features are also a consideration too. The GCM 10SD is about 3Kg heavier than the GCM 350-254 and I'd want to know what makes up the difference (is it better built and more of a pro machine or just plain heavier?).

Good luck

Mark

johnf

Postby johnf » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:23 pm

I have a GCM10sd on the flee bay take a look excellent condition

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332490635990 ... 1558.l2649

MikeJ

Postby MikeJ » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:47 pm

The problem with most mitre saws is the amount of room needed behind them to accommodate the rails, there are a couple of mitre saws out there that address this potential problem, on is the Bosch Glide rail and the other is the idiotically expensive Festool, if space behind the saw is not an issue, please ignore this post. LOL

Mike

tommy2000

Postby tommy2000 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:04 am

The GCM 350-254 features:
100mm verticle x 350mm horizontal cutting capacity at 90 deg'.
Built in dual line laser.
Variable speed motor for different materials (3700-5000rpm).
Bosch Expert wood blade as standard.
Tool free blade change (has SDS bolt).

The GCM 10 SD features:
85mm verticle x 305mm horizontal cutting capacity at 90 deg'.
Upfront controls (no reaching behind the saw to set bevel angle).
Adjustable handle position.
Larger, more clear mitre and bevel scale markings.
Standard Optiline for wood blade.

In summary then, the 10 SD is a much easier to use saw with it's upfront controls, adjustable handle (particularly useful for bevel cuts) and easy to read scales. But, if I were to buy one personally, I'd try and find a 350-254. The extra cut capacity, dual laser, decent blade and variable speed make it the better equipped and useful saw in my opinion.

Return to “Power Tools and Machinery”