Small workshop fine dust extraction

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
AndySmith

Small workshop fine dust extraction

Postby AndySmith » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:40 pm

Hi

I have recently moved to a new workshop and bought a double drum sander. I now need to install adequate extraction to ensure a safe working environment. Ulimately I would like a full ducted system connected to maybe half a dozen machines so would like to buy something that will be able to manage that, but which in the short term I can simply connect to the sander so that I can make safe use of it. The sander has two 100mm ports and the workshop is 3m x 10m and any system I install will have to be wholly contained within the workshop. I am on a tight budget but figure I probably need at least 3hp, and can be either 1PH or 3PH. As I have never had to install extraction before I am hoping to get advice on the best option for my budget.

These are what I have been looking at so far, with the axminster really being at the very top end of my budget:

https://www.charnwood.net/products/product/professional-dust-extractor-2200w-3-phase-w792-3/category_pathway-110
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-trade-series-ct-90hck-3hp-extractor-102179
https://www.scosarg.com/itech-dust-extractor-dc002s-3hp-415v-fine-filter

Does anyone have opinions on the above machines, or have any alternative suggestions to make?

thanks, Andy

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Re: Small workshop fine dust extraction

Postby davidpidge » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:51 am

I can't see much between those machines. Tbey appear to have the same flow rate but the charnwood only fiktets to 2 microns, others say 1 micron. I was told 3 phase is better for power consumption especially on a machine that is switched on and off frequently.
When i switched to a twin bag machine with fine filters i noticed the suction dropped massively from my ptevious machine with cloth bag filters. The important thing is to have a tightly sealed duct system with good flow.
Sorry not much help on the extractor recommendation front!

woodsmith
Subscriber

Postby woodsmith » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:56 am

I don't think any of these machines will work that well with a large sander, it creates so much fine dust that it will very quickly clog any filter. The bag machine would be the worst option, the bag material gets completely saturated with dust and it is very difficult to clean it enough to get a decent air flow again. The pleated filters soon block up too, you can turn the cleaning paddle which helps a bit but you really need an industrial extractor for a sander or build/buy a cyclone.
Keith

furynaturre
Subscriber

Postby furynaturre » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:58 am

I have an 5hp Esta Dustomat 62 that does all my extraction. (I'm tight for space, hence the single bag)

I have an old 900 wide twin drum sander, ducted to it on 150mm spiral, if I put 10 to 15 shaker style doors through, the amount of dust in the filter is monumental. I usually have to run the filter basher thingy three times on a 2 minute cycle to clear it to get the suction back to where the auto cut off doesn't kick in.

Until you've seen it with your own eyes you just don't believe how much dust they create!

Have a look at the Felder RL range they do come up second hand quite often, they go for about double what those machines you linked to go for but I think you stand a better chance. I think Mark Numbers had one before he got his first CNC.

MikeJ

Postby MikeJ » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:38 pm

Sounds the ideal candidate for a cyclone separator to take the dust out of the airstream prior to getting anywhere near the filters, the dump bucket would have to be large to make it all worthwhile though.

Mike

Return to “Power Tools and Machinery”