Startrite 352

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Startrite 352

Postby rhrwilliams » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:27 pm

Hi guys,

I was looking at a Startrite 352 for my workshop to replace my table saw in the short term and an addition to the table saw in the longer term. There is one for sale on fleabay near me for £700.
I'm worried though its a little light duty / too DIY for me - anyone have one and can comment ? Am I wasting my time trying to get a bandsaw to rip timber or with a wide blade will it be ok.

I liked the idea of a bandsaw as a space saving machine I can cut tenons on and things like that too.

My table saw (scheppach Ts4010 - which i thought was bit naff anyway) broke some time ago and I'm fed up with ripping wood by hand now and I need to make a couple of windows and I'm dreading the thought of ripping glazing bars.

If its a no-goer ill have to just keep looking out for a replacement table saw. Something Sedgwick and dig abit deeper. I am really really happy with the other Sedgwick machines I have got (Morticer / Planer Thicknesser / Spindle etc).

9fingers
Subscriber

Re: Startrite 352

Postby 9fingers » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:56 am

Sounds very expensive to me.
Bob
Information on induction motors and inverters here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Postby davidpidge » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:00 am

I think i paid £900 for my minimax bandsaw which is great but i still overpaid. You shoukd be able to pick up a decent bandsaw for £350-£500

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:02 pm

Thanks for the help guys.

I ended up playing it safe and getting a Sedgwick table saw . Its actually not sedgwick its a copy but i'm pleased with it anyway.

Ill keep an eye out fo a cheaper band saw on ebay.

thekarter
Occasional Poster

Postby thekarter » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:29 am

IMHO I think that anyone who refers to eBay as Fleabay should not get involved with items being sold on the site, you would start off with the wrong idea. I have an eBay feedback of some 3,500 - my superb Mini Max combination machine was bought on eBay - it's one of the best buys that I have ever made.
Alan

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:36 am

I’ve bought and sold loads of stuff on eBay it was just a joke really - don’t take it personally :)

I do get the hump with it though

I sold a car last week - highest bidder didn’t bother to make contact , second highest bidder not interested either . I still have to pay fees - why bloody bid.

I am trying to sell a large tractor hedge cutter - I’m now on my 3rd buyer , the last one who arranged to collect and just didn’t turn up , I had to pay a man with telehandler to be there too . First bloke paid me deposit then just left it sitting in my yard 3 months before telling me he wanted his money back

9fingers
Subscriber

Postby 9fingers » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:42 am

I've given trying to sell on eBay mainly for the reasons above.
Bob
Information on induction motors and inverters here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Postby davidpidge » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:28 pm

Easy lads. Don't turn this into yet another ebay bashing thread.

But i also think ebay is used by thieves, timewasters and the mentally challenged.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:54 am

I have a 352 and think it's ok for light stuff, ripping etc but may not be suitable for heavy duty ripping. If you do your research, as some of the guy's on here have, you can buy blades that improve ripping on a bandsaw.

The 352 is pretty well built and should last you a lifetime if looked after, mine was only £350 on ebay a couple of years ago. I think they sell for around £500-600 pounds usually, mine was a bargain as it was supposed to have a fault with the electric foot brake switch but a quick clean sorted it and saved me £150-200.

I think 75% of my equipment has come from ebay so I can't complain, but keep an eye on the forums too as people often unload stuff they just don't use that can turn out to be a real bargain.

"davidpidge" But i also think ebay is used by thieves, timewasters and the mentally challenged.
:lol:

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:50 pm

Thanks for advice.

I am so pleased with my new table saw. Its about 100 times better than my previous. No dust, the extractor actually works. Solid fence. Its a delight.

I will keep an eye for a bargain :)

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:27 pm

rhrwilliams wrote:Thanks for advice.

I am so pleased with my new table saw. Its about 100 times better than my previous. No dust, the extractor actually works. Solid fence. Its a delight.

I will keep an eye for a bargain :)

Yes I know the feeling, when you make the move from Top end DIY/Light Trade onto Professional/Industrial it's just like, why din't I do this before.

So glad your new machine is a vast improvement on your last one and you actually enjoy using it.

Good luck with your next purchase.

Mark

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Postby rhrwilliams » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:17 am

I know it’s like chalk and cheese ! The joke is if you have 3 phase you can get large industrial machines for peanuts where as the light trade / diy stuff is bloody expensive

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Postby davidpidge » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:35 am

rhrwilliams wrote:I know it’s like chalk and cheese ! The joke is if you have 3 phase you can get large industrial machines for peanuts where as the light trade / diy stuff is bloody expensive

But they've potentially had a harder life. A joinery workshop saw might do 6 hours every day for years.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:29 pm

davidpidge wrote:
rhrwilliams wrote:I know it’s like chalk and cheese ! The joke is if you have 3 phase you can get large industrial machines for peanuts where as the light trade / diy stuff is bloody expensive

But they've potentially had a harder life. A joinery workshop saw might do 6 hours every day for years.

You are quite right Dave but a lot depends upon who owned the machinery before and if it has been looked after. There is a lot of industrially rated machinery around in One/Two man operations that only gets used occasionally each week as well.

If I go to look at or pick up a machine after bidding on ebay, I take some hardwood with me to put through the machine just to make sure it will do what it's supposed to.

Return to “Power Tools and Machinery”