Festool dust extractor

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
Stevemc

Festool dust extractor

Postby Stevemc » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:13 pm

Anybody here got one? I want to buy a 110v one but not sure which for Site work as there’s a few to choose from.

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Re: Festool dust extractor

Postby davidpidge » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:20 pm

I've got a midi because its light (easy to move around and can still clip a stack of systainers to the top) and i got one for £250 but I wish I had a ctm36 so i dont have to empty it so often and itd have the finer filter for cutting MDF.
Its all down to budget.

Stevemc

Postby Stevemc » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:54 pm

I agree the midi would be too small.Ive just finished putting a mansard roof on a pub conversion and all the new sub floors and Studwork for 4 flats. In a few weeks Hopefully I will have all the kitchens and 2nd fixing to do so have to make my mind up soon. But won’t tell her indoors how much it costs ;-)

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:53 pm

For site work I use a midi with the long life bag. Expensive initially but worth it in the long run. I just empty the bag into a rubble sack every so often. I had a bigger one initially but when full was quite a weight to carry up stairs.

MJ80
Subscriber

Postby MJ80 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:02 am

I have got the old CTL22, it is the bigger one to the midi. I find it a bit heavy to lug about and think the midi would be a better option for site work. Saying that it has been everywhere with me, big capacity, I get quite a few uses out the bags before they die (they are too expensive to chuck after a single use). I use it for everything from Corian fabrication to sanding. If you can splash out get the hoover attachments they get used a lot, if you just use the end of the hose to clean and get stuff up, the black rubber can mark what it rubs against.
The only thing that does my head in is the plug it cable always gets wrapped around the hose, especially when sanding.

justaskin

Postby justaskin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:23 am

I know you require it for site and this may not be the answer you would like.
I have a CTL 26E with the cyclone adapter in my home base. I initially purchased the long life bags prior to the cyclone, I have emptied the cyclone 3 times in the last year on inspecting the long life bag there is no sign of it being used. So the answer have cheap bags for site work and the cyclone for workshop.
Richard

Stevemc

Postby Stevemc » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:20 am

Thanks guys. I’m off till Monday now because of the snow so when it thaws a bit I will go shopping :-) Also not sure if I’m going with the Ctl range which is cheaper or the Ctm

furynaturre
Subscriber

Postby furynaturre » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:05 pm

Just to make you aware, some sites will demand an M Class extractor which will have filter cleaners and an audible blockage warning.

You could also take a look at Starmix who make excellent extractors that are extremely prevalent in Europe.

James

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Postby Leveller2911 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:53 pm

Does it have to be a Festool?.

I bought the M Classed Bosch vacuum a few months ago and think is pretty good. It has auto shaking of the filter and alarm for flow rate etc

IIRC Its about £200 cheaper than the comparative Festool M class and holds an additional 10lts........

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Bos ... um-M-Class

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Fes ... -Extractor

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Postby Jonathan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:56 pm

I've had the Festool CT 17 E Dust Extractor for approximately 12 year's, gets used every day in the workshop and not to big for talking to site.
Great machine and not expensive, ok you can't clip a systainer to the top, I've pimped mine up and have a small bench on top of it, doubles up as a seat :ugeek:
Use the normal paper bags, empty them into the extractor in the workshop, bag lasts about a year,
Jonathan

Stevemc

Postby Stevemc » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:37 am

Leveller2911 wrote:Does it have to be a Festool?.

I bought the M Classed Bosch vacuum a few months ago and think is pretty good. It has auto shaking of the filter and alarm for flow rate etc

IIRC Its about £200 cheaper than the comparative Festool M class and holds an additional 10lts........

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Bos ... um-M-Class

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Fes ... -Extractor

That’s a spanner in the works and it’s £462 here. Not as sexy as the Festool buttttt
https://www.howetools.co.uk/bosch-gas-3 ... gIKHfD_BwE

Stevemc

Postby Stevemc » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:32 am

NOw Im looking at the Makita ffs. Ok I’ve settled on getting an M Class, it has to take a fair amount of abuse, wet and dry would be good Incase I spill my latte. Compatible with all makes and fittings, the only festool I have is the track saw but might be looking for a Dom at some point. All my batt tools are dewalt. Corded tools are Makita and bosch. Money isn’t really an issue but cheap as poss would be good. Sick of being covered in dust.

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Postby Leveller2911 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:10 pm

Stevemc wrote:
Leveller2911 wrote:That’s a spanner in the works and it’s £462 here. Not as sexy as the Festool buttttt
https://www.howetools.co.uk/bosch-gas-3 ... gIKHfD_BwE

Wish I had seen that price before I bought mine......... Bugger.............I like the anti static hose on it which I think the Festools also have(?)

If I remember correctly you should fit the heavy dutypolythene bag (supplied) for it to be fully Class M but personally I don't use it with the bag fitted as in my opinion it reduces the capacity and possibly the suction too. I really like the filter auto-shaker but do find the suction/volume alarm a bit of a pain because I always forget to switch the dial over for different sized hoses but to be honest its not a big issue..

I'll hold up my hands and say although I have the Domino 500 (love it) and the Vacuum clamping system I think Festool tools are way over priced for what they are/do.The savings on buying a Bosch etc over a Festool are not small beer but its all down to tastes/fashion I guess.

Stevemc

Postby Stevemc » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:07 pm

Ok Leveller and guys I’ve paid for the Bosch and I will be looking for other tools so would appreciate your help and exp
I think a finishing sander or a random orbital one would be next as I have a few painted cupboards to repaint. I have a makita belt sander for the big stuff
Should I start a new thread?

Cheers

mark270981
Subscriber

Postby mark270981 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:11 pm

I like the look of the Bosch

I have a couple of the metabos and they are great to be fair.
--------------------------------------------------------------
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

Return to “Power Tools and Machinery”