Table saw for milled wood

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
RobD7

Table saw for milled wood

Postby RobD7 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:15 pm

Evening Gents
I have started producing my own timber through chainsaw milling and I am wandering if there are portable saws out there that could handle planks upto 24 inches wide that will need ripping down there length and upto 8 1/2 foot in length that will need coss cutting, it will also need to be able to cut to a depth of 3 inches. Ive been looking at so many different saws im starting to get a bit lost but i was wandering about the DW745 but i would really appreciate any recommendations on different or more capable saws. I would be willing to spend upto £1000.

promhandicam

Re: Table saw for milled wood

Postby promhandicam » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:44 pm

Welcome to the forum. Will the wood you intend dimensioning be seasoned or still green. Either way, I think that trying to handle an 8' x 2' x 3" plank of rough sawn timber over any portable saw is going to be fraught with problems. You need a saw that is going to be heavier than the piece of wood for a start otherwise it will move all over the place! Personally I'd be looking at something like the festool sword saw which should be just about in your budget. You don't say where you are, but call Warren at Bunny's Bolts (Toolfest) and see what sort of deal he can do if you decide to go down the festool route.

Return to “Power Tools and Machinery”