best all round blade for a DW 720

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
azz22

best all round blade for a DW 720

Postby azz22 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:32 am

hi I have just bought my first RAS a dewalt dw720 what would be a good all round blade for this saw for cross cutting and bit of ripping

I will eventually buy more blades to suit different jobs but just need a decent blade to get me started

also any tips setting the saw up I have downloaded the manual offline and had a go at setting it up which I don't think is far off now
I must say the previous owner can't have been happy with the saw's performance as the set up was miles out...almost 5mm just across the face of the blade on crosscut

cheers mark

promhandicam

Re: best all round blade for a DW 720

Postby promhandicam » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:21 pm

Google cutting solutions - Doug is a member of the forum and is very helpful. Their blades are good quality too.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:37 am

azz22 wrote:hi I have just bought my first RAS a dewalt dw720 what would be a good all round blade for this saw for cross cutting and bit of ripping

I will eventually buy more blades to suit different jobs but just need a decent blade to get me started

also any tips setting the saw up I have downloaded the manual offline and had a go at setting it up which I don't think is far off now
I must say the previous owner can't have been happy with the saw's performance as the set up was miles out...almost 5mm just across the face of the blade on crosscut

cheers mark

If I were you I would use a different blade for ripping and crosscutting simply because they are two different operations. A blade designed for crosscutting acts differently on the fibres if used to rip cut (it will simply clog up with resin and become ineffective at cutting).

It is best to use a cross cut blade for crosscutting and a rip blade for rip sawing.

Based on a 10" (250mm) blade I tend to use the following:

For cross cutting wood using a 10" blade (250mm) I would use a blade with around 40 teeth and go for a blade with either a negative or near negative hook.

For melamine and pre-finished board materials I'd be tempted to use a Negative rake blade with say 60 teeth and with a design of triple chip (every third tip has a trapezoidal ground faces to help prevent chipping).

For ripping on a RAS I'd not go for an aggressive blade but one with a rake similar to a crosscut blade but more on the positive side with say 30 teeth. If you can design some sort of hold down mechanism that allows the material to pass the blade but prevent it from rising that's preferable to none at all. A rip blade in a RAS may have an effect of trying to lift the material upward off the table, a holding pressure helps prevent this from happening.

To get the most out of your RAS you need to put the cost of the blades to one side and just buy what you need. Once you have made the initial purchase you can confidently use the saw knowing you have the correct blades for each job and material.

You can buy multipurpose blades designed for both crosscutting and ripping but they need to be kept ultra sharp and in excellent shape while in use. If these types of blade become blunt they can be troublesome to use.

RAS really need to have blades sharp and in top condition for the saw to be effective and safe.

Mark

azz22

Postby azz22 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:36 pm

hi thanks for your reply
it was really helpful as you might have worked out I am new to RAS's so any tips or info is really good
I will be looking for a neg rake blade for starters

thanks Mark :)

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:04 pm

azz22 wrote:hi thanks for your reply
it was really helpful as you might have worked out I am new to RAS's so any tips or info is really good
I will be looking for a neg rake blade for starters

thanks Mark :)

I use Bosch Multi Material HLTCG saw blades on my RAS, Panel Saw and Hand held circular saw. They are useful for crosscutting, laminate cutting and for cutting most sheet material. I tend to use these blades for rip cuts on sheet material and laminated material but not rip cuts on solid timber. They can be used on melamine faced boards and help reduce chipping but you need to play around with the depth of cut from the blade as getting this right affects chip reduction quite a lot. They have a negative rake also a TCG (Triple Chip Grind) on every third tooth that helps reduce chipping when cutting faced/laminated sheet material. They are available in a variety of diameters also the number of teeth. The cost of these blades is fairly easy to digest as they can be purchased on ebay and other places at around £30-£40 for a 250mm blade. I think you will find better saw blades on the market at higher prices but for the money and general use I think they are quite reasonable, I use them a lot. I last used one of these blades about two weeks ago in a hand held circular saw when I cut approximately 60 sheets of melamine faced chipboard to fit as wall panels in a shop (cutting was some lengthways and most to height). The blade was 190mm in diameter and still has a good cutting edge.

Mark

Return to “Power Tools and Machinery”