New garage workshop table saw recommendations

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
bradaz21

New garage workshop table saw recommendations

Postby bradaz21 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:37 pm

Hey everyone,

Im new to the forum and have recently bought my first house. Im looking to set up a workshop in my garage and have been researching table saws. This is the first time buying my own setup and wondered if anyone had any recommendations for a table saw?

Ideally I want to be able to rip down 4x8 sheets of plywood and occasionally hardwood to make various cabinets and furniture. As long as the table saw has a solid table im not too fussed about fences as im going to make a workstation.

Im looking to spend up to £700 and I don't mind second hand, any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Bradaz

Rogerdodge
Subscriber

Re: New garage workshop table saw recommendations

Postby Rogerdodge » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:16 pm

IMO one of the real game changing inventions for woodworkers has been the tracksaw - it is ideally suited to ripping down 8 x 4 sheets; Maybe you could give that some consideration ( Plenty of choice wrt makes .) - thing is you need quite a bit of space for a slider or well set up in and out feeds to rip sheet goods on a TS.

Good luck anyway

mark270981
Subscriber

Postby mark270981 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:19 pm

Plus 1 for a tracksaw in a confined space!
--------------------------------------------------------------
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

bradaz21

Postby bradaz21 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:34 pm

I've looked at a track saw and its certainly on my list as they do tick a lot of boxes however I want to use the table saw with various jigs and for a jointer. Space isn't totally an issue but I want to leave plenty of room for storage. Any recommendations on a track saw, I briefly looked at the
"DEWALT DWS520K-LX 165MM DOC PRECISION PLUNGE SAW 110V"?

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:46 pm

What they both said !

To explain a bit more, get a sheet of Kingspan or similar and lay it on the floor, lower your 8 x 4 sheet onto that and then use the track saw to make your cuts. Some people will get the pieces roughly to size and then get them cut to the exact size on the table saw but with care you can get very good accuracy with a track saw. The advantage of doing it this way is that you don't have to hump bloody great heavy sheets up onto the table saw.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:27 pm

£700 budget will get you a new festool plunge saw and probably a 1400 and 2700 track. Just make sure you buy a rip blade too if you are going to rip solid timber. If you are lucky you might be able to get a second hand festool saw and a midi extractor for your money which is probably what I would do in your situation - just make sure the saw looks in good nick.

Return to “Power Tools and Machinery”