Power feeder

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Power feeder

Postby thatsnotafestool » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:52 am

Looking at getting a power feeder for the Hammer. I want it to reach both the outfeed table on the planer as well as the spindle moulder. I've already got the tilting mount so that's sorted. The reach I need is around 700mm or so and I've got my eye on a couple of Co-matics - both with 760mm reach. One has three rollers (AP-34 and £850 ) and one with four rollers (AP- 48 and £1000). Both 3-phase. Question - is it worth paying the extra £150 ?

Any other makes I should be considering. The Felder F-38 with extended arm also has enough reach but costs £1000 and only has three rollers.

I'm finding it very difficult to get the 'reach' dimension off the web for a lot of models.

TIA
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Re: Power feeder

Postby Jonathan » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:57 pm

Rodger
Have a look at scott and sargents they import the co-matic dc 40 which is 4 wheels, the way the dc 40 goes from vertical to horizontal is a big time saver over conventional feeders.
Don't know about arm length, can measure it if you need....will add that the best improvement in my shop in the last 5 years was putting a feeder on my surface planner!
I like the dc 40, with 4 wheels simply because I prefer 2 wheels in feed and 2 wheel out feed .
A 3 wheeler ie dc 30 , I tend to get more snipe with 2 in and 1 out, or the other way around....
Jonathan

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:29 am

Thanks Jonathan. If you get a moment if you could please measure it.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Postby Jonathan » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:17 pm

Rodger
My co-matic arm measures 760mm
Have a look at the machine here https://youtu.be/wVrfJQgryrQ
The way this one changes from horizontal to vertical is a great time saver, the only other feeder I found simular was a Martin power feeder which was about 2k

Jonathan

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:51 pm

Thanks for that, Jonathan. It certainly has a lot of attractive features ..not least of which is weight ! But unfortunately (a) it's not quite long enough if I am to also reach the table saw and (b) about £400 more than I want to pay..seeing as how I'm no longer working ...well, I am on the bloody house but not any income :cry:

So I'll probably go (reluctantly) for a Maggi Steff with a 1030mm long arm.
Friedrich Nietzsche

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:39 am

The beast has landed and it's a heavy son of a bitch. I certainly won't be trying to swing it down out of the way. :(

and I now realise that using it on the table saw is a BAD idea.

First, the sheer weight of the feeder on the end of the long arm is to much for the Hammer support which is a tad surprising as it is about the same weight as the Felder power feeder. I guess it might be simple leverage due to the longer arm. The result is that when using on the table saw, the Hammer support flexes throwing the feeder out of alignment. The crude 'fix' is a ratchet strap pulling the feeder vertical support back into alignment or a temporary support underneath the arm pushing it back up to take some of the weight off. All very Heath Robinson.

But I now realise that I didn't think this through properly as (I think) the table saw is the one machine where you need to 'listen' to the cut and adjust the feed accordingly...thinks board tension, a particularly knotty bit. The last thing you want is a power feeder trying to shove the board through against any such 'objections' and stalling the motor. I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts and also thoughts on 'best practice-...see t'other thread.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Postby Jonathan » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:22 pm

Rodger
To swing the feeder on the tilt away bracket with ease.... set the feeder up perpendicular to the planner table's, horizontal arm would need to be fully extended to miss the planner, pull the slider out of the way, should now swing over with ease....naturally the lower you can get the feeder to the pivot point the less the weight.
ps dont forget to tighten ALL the levers before swinging over.

Never needed to use a feeder on the saw so cant help there.

On the planner it's great for both face side and edge, on my 331 I have a block set up to stop the fence moving, the hammer fences are a little flimsy, guess you get what you pay for, next time I will get a Format machine.

Jonathan

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:39 pm

Jonathan wrote:Rodger
To swing the feeder on the tilt away bracket with ease.... set the feeder up perpendicular to the planner table's, horizontal arm would need to be fully extended to miss the planner, pull the slider out of the way, should now swing over with ease....naturally the lower you can get the feeder to the pivot point the less the weight.
ps dont forget to tighten ALL the levers before swinging over.

Is it on YouTube ? :D

Jonathan wrote:.....the hammer fences are a little flimsy, guess you get what you pay for, .....

Jonathan

You're dead right there ! Guess it's the drawback with a combi ?
Friedrich Nietzsche

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Postby Jonathan » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:04 pm

Rodger
No, not on you tube that I know of, just my own way of doing it and making life easy.
There is also a gas strut that you can fix to the swing over plate that makes it a one hand job. Bunch of guys on the felder owners group have done it....

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:13 pm

Hi...my comment was tongue-in-cheek and hoping you'd put one up ! When you say perpendicular, do you mean vertical ? 'cos the Steff can't do that. In fact compared to my last power feeder, it's range of adjustments is pretty crap TBH.

Brian mentioned that gas strut but damed if I can find it on that forum.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Postby Jonathan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:04 pm

Rodger
Not au fait with you tube so can't help you there, I'm old school, started with technology about 5 years ago.
Ok let me try and explain it another way.
The image of the feeder you posted....
Swing the horizontal arm 45° towards the garage door wall.
Extend the horizontal arm fully or enought so it does not foul the planner bed when you tilt it over.
If you lower the feeder at this point as low as you can it will reduce the weight when tilting.
Move the slider out of the way.
Make sure all levers are locked.
Now swing the feeder over.
If this still does not make sence, give me a what's app number and I can send you a video that way.
Regards finding the gas strut on Yahoo fog forum, yes its a mission to navigate, if I remember it was Imran that posted the gas strut details.
Jonathan

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:58 am

Many thanks, Jonathan, for the extra info. I'll give it a try the next time I eat some Weetabix !

I'd forgotten just how much I loathe Yahoo. Can't view the site as not a member and bloody Yahoo insists I create a profile but clicking on their link just takes you to ones account details and no hint of a profile anywhere.

Did I mention how much I detest Yahoo?
Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Power Tools and Machinery”