Table Saw (£400 budget)

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
mushroomgodmat

Table Saw (£400 budget)

Postby mushroomgodmat » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:14 pm

Hi All,

Im looking for some advice - Id like to buy a simple table saw for some basic cabinet/shelving making. I have a budget of £400

Any advice would be appreciated.

promhandicam

Re: Table Saw (£400 budget)

Postby promhandicam » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:21 pm

welcome. personally i would look at a plunge saw / guide rail if you are mainly going to be using man made boards.

plutomoon

Postby plutomoon » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:02 pm

I was just saying in another thread I have an Evolution Fury 5 and couldn't be happier. They were more expensive when I bought mine in 2015, now you can get it for as little as £150.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evolution-FURY5-S-Multi-Purpose-Table-230V/dp/B01DP3V368

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Postby Meccarroll » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:12 pm

promhandicam wrote:welcome. personally i would look at a plunge saw / guide rail if you are mainly going to be using man made boards.

Hi Steve and Merry Christmas to you and all on the forum. Now to the question: I don't actually own a plunge saw myself as most of my current work is site carpentry (structural) and only dip in and out of panel work occasionally. I have used them when supplied by main contractors or firms I have worked for and find them useful but I would not personally recommend one over a table saw for general work. I just wondered why you advocate buying one over a table saw? I use my hand circular saw with a multi blade and it does a decent job on MFC one side and will cut nicely with no chipping if the sheet material has a protective plastic film on. Is it something you use both on site and in the workshop and do you find it quick to set up?

Mark

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:22 pm

Meccarroll wrote:
promhandicam wrote:welcome. personally i would look at a plunge saw / guide rail if you are mainly going to be using man made boards.

Hi Steve and Merry Christmas to you and all on the forum. Now to the question: I don't actually own a plunge saw myself as most of my current work is site carpentry (structural) and only dip in and out of panel work occasionally. I have used them when supplied by main contractors or firms I have worked for and find them useful but I would not personally recommend one over a table saw for general work. I just wondered why you advocate buying one over a table saw? I use my hand circular saw with a multi blade and it does a decent job on MFC one side and will cut nicely with no chipping if the sheet material has a protective plastic film on. Is it something you use both on site and in the workshop and do you find it quick to set up?

Mark

In answer to your question Mark, I've got a felder panel saw in the workshop and wouldn't be without it. However the op has a budget of £400 for a saw for making cabinets and shelving and so I assumed they would be cutting down sheet material. Therefore I personally think that a track saw would be the way to go.

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:54 pm

I'm with Steve on this one. Need a proper blade though with the right teeth for carcasses if you're using Conti type board to prevent the edges chipping away.

Also, regardless of blade, a sheet (can be seconds) of Kingspan/whatever on which to lay the board down to cut.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

katellwood
Occasional Poster

Postby katellwood » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:33 pm

just my two penneth

If you are cutting full sized sheets (8 x 4) on a £400 table saw you are going to struggle and the initial cuts will not be very accurate.

I also use a Felder with a sliding table however for the initial cuts I start with a dewalt track saw and a 2.7m track.

Its far easier to carry the saw to a full sized sheet than a full sized sheet to the saw and push it through for an accurate cut (area around the saw/workshop size comes into this as well)

Kingspan is a good idea however i use a torsion box without a top made out of rippings of 1/2" ply approx 4" deep

martin.pearson

Postby martin.pearson » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:11 pm

I am new to this forum & not a woodworker as such, I worked as a signmaker for nearly 20 years so cutting 8 x 4 sheets was something I did on a regular basis & it is something I wouldn't consider on a table saw unless it was something that was made for that purpose. Sub £400 you can only be looking at a site saw I would have thought. I have a makita site saw & its a great bit of kit but I wouldn't use it to cut full sheet material, I have a wall panel saw for that & a range of diferent blades for different substrates.
As has been said getting an accurate cut on a site type table saw is extremely difficult, steets are always eith to floppy if thin or to heavy if thicker lol

Can't comment on a track saw as never used one :D

Rogerdodge
Subscriber

Postby Rogerdodge » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:08 pm

+ 1 on the Tracksaw for me. I have the Makita , and it has been an excellent purchase for me. You can get a fitting to put on the track to give very accurate right angle cuts too.

Return to “Power Tools and Machinery”