Spot the oversight !

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Spot the oversight !

Post by thatsnotafestool » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:18 am

In a thread on TWH2, I talked about how I went about getting some custom spindle moulder cutters made. But I cocked up. Can you see where ? PM me if you can.

To recap

This is the architrave I wished to make

My working drawing

Tarted up and submitted to Whitehill

Draft cutter schematic from Whitehill

I then suggested that they could extend the cutters (shown shaded) to avoid me having to make a third pass with a rebate cutter

Second draft

They missed one !

Final signed off cutter drawing

Neither they nor I spotted the oversight aka c*ck-up which didn't become apparent until I'd finished moulding two sets of architrave :(

Can you spot it ? As I said, PM me if you can.

Not a complete disaster and not that obvious on the finished product and I doubt that anyone would notice it. It's easily fixable for the remaining 12 sets.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

mark270981
Subscriber

Re: Spot the oversight !

Post by mark270981 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:17 am

Seems very complicated to just run off some arcs!
--------------------------------------------------------------
ALOTBSOL

Mark - Sutton Coldfield

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:02 am

mark270981 wrote:Seems very complicated to just run off some arcs!

How would you do it ? I need 100m :lol:
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:26 pm

Nope, I can't. When you going to tell?

Mark

Tomyjoiner
Subscriber

Post by Tomyjoiner » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:11 pm

r16-r13?

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:03 am

Hey ho...well cockups just kept on multiplying. My original conclusion as to why the cockup turned out to be just as flawed as the original cockup. :oops:

For starters even my original SketchUp drawing had the wrong dimensions on 104mm wide and not 107mm as it was supposed to be.

But the biggest cockup was making the first moulding pass way, way past where it should have started. This ended up 'pushing' that quirk into the path of the cutter used in the second pass. Nothing at all to do with me not carrying through that 44mm dimension on the initial sketch...through to the information supplied to Whitehill.

Quelle c*ck-up. Quelle muppet. :oops:
Friedrich Nietzsche

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:05 pm

Had a look during the week when I was at work and commented on this saying I could not see anything wrong with it. The reason is I took it that the cutters should work as supplied provided the architrave width fits in with the large central flat produced by the cutters.

I may be wrong but if you kept to the SECOND DRAFT set as proposed by Whitehill you could make the Architrave. You would need to make three cuts , the third being made by lowering the top cutter to extend the flat to achieve wider Architrave.

Your thoughts?

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:55 pm

I think that if I finesse the ovolo cutter and remove the small straight edge where it starts to cut that wide rebate and then rely on the second cutter to cut the whole rebate (plus accepting a little variance from the original 18th c. design) then that should work.

One thing that I do need to do though is fit them ASAP because removing all that wood from just the one side, they start to cup. Quite possible that they might then split over time but as it's my own house, the only callback is me !
Friedrich Nietzsche

promhandicam

Post by promhandicam » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:02 pm

One of my timber suppliers moulds grooves on the back face of wide mouldings presumably to help prevent cupping - just a thought

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:22 pm

promhandicam wrote:One of my timber suppliers moulds grooves on the back face of wide mouldings presumably to help prevent cupping - just a thought
That's a great idea, thanks, Steve. Easy enough to run a few grooves over the table saw blade.
Friedrich Nietzsche

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:24 pm

promhandicam wrote:One of my timber suppliers moulds grooves on the back face of wide mouldings presumably to help prevent cupping - just a thought
Steve...many thanks for the suggestion. Second batch duly stress relieved and no cupping. You're acknowledged over on TWH2 !
Friedrich Nietzsche