Remote Switching

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
gazt42

Remote Switching

Postby gazt42 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:12 pm

I have a Jet extractor in my workshop that has worked very well. I'm trying to find a way of turning it off and on from across the workshop. Having bought a remote control socket and handheld remote I've found that the, what I believe is called a no volt switch, doesn't allow me to use it as the machine HAS to be switched on with the actual on switch on the machine being used. Any ideas as to how I can get around this?

promhandicam

Re: Remote Switching

Postby promhandicam » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:36 pm

Welcome. I have exactly this set up, sorted out by a member of the forum who is a wizz with all things electrical. Sadly I have no idea what exactly he did, but he has added something inside the NVR switch to allow it to be operated from a remote socket. Note that at least with mine, the NVR switch no longer operates - you have to use the remote. If Bob doesn't respond to this in a couple of days I will send him a PM.

9fingers
Subscriber

Postby 9fingers » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:25 am

Did somebody call? :lol:

Can you send a picture of the nvr preferably with the cover removed please
If you can't post pictures here yet as a new member, email to motors@minchin.org.uk
Bob
Information on induction motors and inverters here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gazt42

Postby gazt42 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:38 pm

Hi.

Thanks promhandicam for Bob's recommendation.

Bob I'm emailing the images over to you on the email address you supplied, they are too big to attach here.

Many thanks all.

9fingers
Subscriber

Postby 9fingers » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:07 pm

OK for the benefit of others, this machine has one of the small chinese KEDU integrated NVR switches where the whole thing is little bigger than the Stop and start buttons.
These are not really suitable for modification in the way I did the one for Steve. He had a proper DOL/NVR starter which offers motor overcurrent protection as well as No Volt Release in the event of mains failure.

If Graham(OP) feels adequately confident to wire up a relay (screw terminals only) then I can recommend what to buy and where to get it.
Not much more difficult than wiring a plug.

Some might read of people directly using one of these remote controlled sockets without the extra current carying capacity of a proper relay. The bodges will eventually fail as the inrush current of an induction motor will kill the switch sooner or later and when least convenient.

Bob
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gazt42

Postby gazt42 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:52 pm

Hi Bob.

Yes I'd be happy to attempt the relay fix and would be grateful for any help sorting this.

9fingers
Subscriber

Postby 9fingers » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:09 pm

OK I'll sort something out. Are you looking for a "remote control in your pocket" type solution or the good old "yank on a string running the length of the workshop" alternative.
Without stating the blindingly bleeding obvious, you have to be able to lay your hands on the remote for the former to be useful :lol:

Bob

gazt42

Postby gazt42 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:33 pm

Hi Bob

I have purchased a remote on/off adaptor that plugs into the 13amp mains socket. This can be turned on and off via the handheld remote.

9fingers
Subscriber

Postby 9fingers » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:44 pm

OK I'll work my solution around that. You are going to need a pair of 13amp sockets. One to plug in the machine itself and another one to plug in the remote socket. Is that OK?

I'll try and sort out something this evening - gotta get in the kitchen, put my pinny on now and get dinner lol

Bob

9fingers
Subscriber

Postby 9fingers » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:07 pm

Get yourself one of these on order
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CPN-CONTACTOR- ... +relay+20a

And enough lightweight mains 3 core flex to reach from the machine to the control socket 0.75mm2 will be plenty thick enough but thicker if you happen to have it will be no problem. Also a 13amp plug and 3amp (red) fuse.

Bob

gazt42

Postby gazt42 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:10 pm

Hi Bob.

What I have purchased so far requires the remote controlled adaptor to be plugged into the mains socket. You then plug the machine's plug into that.
This works fine for turning the machine off but not on.

9fingers
Subscriber

Postby 9fingers » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:00 pm

Yep trust me I understand these things lol.
Follow the master! :lol:
Hundreds of happy readers can't be wrong
Bob

gazt42

Postby gazt42 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:11 pm

Ok Bob

I'm currently on my knees bowing to the god of switching, part ordered!

Graham

9fingers
Subscriber

Postby 9fingers » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:20 pm

I've been called lots of things over the years but thats a new one lol

9fingers
Subscriber

Postby 9fingers » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:41 pm

OK Here is how to wire the relay in
Remove the four wires from the existing NVR switch and put in the spares box.
Drill a hole in the box just big enough to pass the new control cable through. Pull enough through to reach the new relay plus a bit and put a knot in the cable inside the box to retain it. If you have cable ties you can use one of those tightly around the cable instead.
Find a space in the box for the relay ideally with a hole or two to screw it in.
Connect all six wires, as shown in the diagram below and fit the relay in the box. Note tha the control cable goes one to A1 and the other to A2. These are at the base of the relay not at the top where the other 8 larger screw terminals are.

Wire a 13amp plug with a 3amp fuse on the far end of the control cable.

To test, plug in the remote socket and into that plug in the control cable. Do not plug in the extractor at this stage.
Operate the remote with the hand held widget and the relay should click in and out. Leaving the relay in the ON position, pull out the remote socket out of the wall socket and confirm that a) the relay turns off and b) that when you plug it back in to the wall socket the relay remains off.
This step confirms that the NVR function is now provided by the remote socket.
Finally with the remote switch off, plug in the extractor to another wall socket. Verify that the remote control switches the extractor on and off.

Job done

Bob
Attachments
contactor wiring.jpg

gazt42

Postby gazt42 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:33 pm

Thanks Bob, I get the relay by the end of the week. I will update after I get out of hospital :D

gazt42

Postby gazt42 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:00 pm

Hi Bob.

Total success! After relay finally arrived (10 days!) installed as per your instructions, (very tight in box, just fitted) and it works perfectly.
Not bad for a tenner, Axminster box of tricks would have been £290 plus! Many thanks for your help and advice. Graham :-)

9fingers
Subscriber

Postby 9fingers » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:19 pm

My pleasure Graham and thanks for taking the trouble to report back.

Bob

Return to “Power Tools and Machinery”