Remote control for 110V Site Vacuum?

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
Meccarroll
Subscriber

Remote control for 110V Site Vacuum?

Post by Meccarroll » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:11 am

Hi all, I recently purchased a site vacuum, Hilti VCU 40, rated at 1100w running on 110v power supply.

The VCU vacuum does not have a power take off point for 110v tools, you have to do the switching manually. In any case when using battery operated tools an automatic function is of no use as these tend to trigger on the power tools 110v power supply.

I'm thinking about using a remote control switch that can be used with a 110v vacuum. My vacuum is rated at 1100w of power so I would need a decent remote control switch for the 1100w load. Any one using a similar switch at the moment that is giving good service. Some of the switches on the market are not very reliable so hence the question on here.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thank's Mark.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Re: Remote control for 110V Site Vacuum?

Post by Meccarroll » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:52 am

BoB where are you?

9fingers
Subscriber

Post by 9fingers » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:32 pm

Sorry Mark, only just seen this.
Problem is 110v. most of these switches are plug in to 13amp socket so expect 240v ac in.
12v wireless switches exist but then you need a 110v wall wart type power supply.

I think you are going to need to look over the pond and import something from USA as they will not only be used to 110v but have good current handling too.

Bob
Information on induction motors and inverters here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:49 pm

9fingers wrote:Sorry Mark, only just seen this.
Problem is 110v. most of these switches are plug in to 13amp socket so expect 240v ac in.
12v wireless switches exist but then you need a 110v wall wart type power supply.

I think you are going to need to look over the pond and import something from USA as they will not only be used to 110v but have good current handling too.

Bob
Thank you Bob, your reply is much appreciated. I have managed to find something on utube which might help. I'll post a link to it on here so you can take a look (if you don't mind) and maybe see what you think of it.

Mark

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:57 pm

Here is a link to a Utube video, looks like it could be a US made video and I have made a check on the parts which I can buy from ebay.

The link: https://youtu.be/DODs-wL07OI

9fingers
Subscriber

Post by 9fingers » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:35 pm

The you tube guy is basically on the right track but the soundtrack is full of little errors and crap presentation.
The packaging is awful and no way is that sort of thing gonna get past a site inspector.

You could start with one of these or similar ebay no 333008845847
a nice chunky contactor
A 110v plug and yellow cable and a panel mounting 110v socket
A chunky plastic box
Wired as per his revised diagram and making sure any screws passing through the box are solidly earthed so it will pass a pat test.
Not difficult but has to be done properly.

HTH
Bob
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:06 am

9fingers wrote:The you tube guy is basically on the right track but the soundtrack is full of little errors and crap presentation.
The packaging is awful and no way is that sort of thing gonna get past a site inspector.

You could start with one of these or similar ebay no 333008845847
a nice chunky contactor
A 110v plug and yellow cable and a panel mounting 110v socket
A chunky plastic box
Wired as per his revised diagram and making sure any screws passing through the box are solidly earthed so it will pass a pat test.
Not difficult but has to be done properly.

HTH
Bob
Thank's Bob and yes it does help. Not quite sure where to put the wires to on the remote in your link but I may figure it out, if I get it wrong I'll just blow up £7.50 :lol: LoL. You are a handy fella for sure. Cheers.

9fingers
Subscriber

Post by 9fingers » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:53 am

If it helps, I could order the remote for you and investigate the wiring. I've possible got some 110v contactors here too.
I'd rough wire it and then send it to you to stuff in a box with your 110v connectors.
Would that help?

Bob

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:16 am

9fingers wrote:If it helps, I could order the remote for you and investigate the wiring. I've possible got some 110v contactors here too.
I'd rough wire it and then send it to you to stuff in a box with your 110v connectors.
Would that help?

Bob
I'm slightly ahead on this already, I've ordered both items. I placed the order for the contractor shortly after your reply and it is now waiting to be picked up (had it delivered to my father in laws), the remote is ordered and on the way. There are a few Utube videos about so I'll watch them and see how I get on. Had I not already made the order I would have gone with you Bob. It's really nice of you to help our Bob, thank you.

I'm now thinking about wiring my main 240v extraction unit too. I don't keep my extraction unit it in my work area because there is always some dust blown back into the surrounding area with it (even though it has an MDF filter bag on it). I currently have the switch on a wall in one room but have machinery in two rooms so have to do a fair bit of walking at times.

I see you have run through a 240v remote control configuration for a dust extraction unit already on this site so will read the thread first. I my be back to pick your brains again though, if I may.

Mark

9fingers
Subscriber

Post by 9fingers » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:27 am

No Probs Mark

You and other forum users are welcome to pick through what remains of my brain lol.

You might find some helpful bits in here even though it is three phase. http://www.thewoodhaven2.co.uk/viewtopi ... =22&t=3921

Bob

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:24 pm

9fingers wrote:No Probs Mark

You and other forum users are welcome to pick through what remains of my brain lol.

You might find some helpful bits in here even though it is three phase. http://www.thewoodhaven2.co.uk/viewtopi ... =22&t=3921

Bob
Took a quick look at the link Bob, I think I'll have to sit down with a cup of tea and spend a bit of time studying it. It's all very interesting, many thank's.

Mark