Power feeder for spindle moulder options

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
petertheeater

Power feeder for spindle moulder options

Postby petertheeater » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:27 pm

Hi all. Just received a 2nd hand Felder F700 spindle moulder. It doesn't have a power feeder but I'm keen on getting one. It's a 3 phase and I will probably opt for 3 phase power feeder too. What are the options of powering it through the spindle as I don't have any more 3 phase feeds from the consumer unit. When I spoke to felder about a new spindle they quoted for a 3 phase switch to drive the power feeder. Do the power feeders all have separate switches on them as I would.t want it on every time the spindle is running.
Thanks in advance.

promhandicam

Re: Power feeder for spindle moulder options

Postby promhandicam » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:09 pm

No experience of 3ph power feeds, but all the single phase ones I've seen have a switch on the body of the feeder to turn on and off and change speed and feed direction. I can't imagine that a 3ph one would be any different.

jfc
Administrator

Postby jfc » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:57 pm

Just bought a 3 phase wadkin with 3 phase power feed . Where the cable goes in there is a basic junction box and that powers the machine and power feed . The grey trunking to the right is the power feed cable that went to that box .

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Postby Jonathan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:34 am

Couple of year's ago I upgraded my Felder power feeder with a co matic dc40, a big 4 wheel feeder....240 volts and under 500w....just plug it in a 13 amp socket.

The Felder PF was not able to slow down enough where the co matic has a variable speed that slows down to snails pace......

petertheeater

Postby petertheeater » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:42 am

It seems felder have my machine logged as having a power point for the feeder but I'm bu**ered if I can find it. I will probably opt for a 240 volt feeder unless I can find a 3 phase splitter.
The co matic Dc40 looks nice but I think way too big for what I need. I like the idea of being able to slow it down though.

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Postby Jonathan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:26 pm

Peter
Co matic also make a smaller 3 wheel version....DC 30....

They also do a smart stand for power feeders.....which allows you to raise and lower from the front of the machine....no more leaning over the spindle or walking around it seems a great idea.
http://www.co-matic.com/en/product/Acc-SS

petertheeater

Postby petertheeater » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:56 pm

This might be a stupid question but are the hole positions for fixing the stands to the tables universal?

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Postby Jonathan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:26 pm

Peter....I believe they are....if you asked on the Felder group I'm sure get a definite answer.

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:37 am

I'm jealous, Peter, in that you're going to be able to mount your feeder on the firm and stable surface of your moulder. I have to depend on a crappy bit of floppy metal at the end of my Hammer C3-31 combi machine. The result is that it's almost impossible to get the pillar vertical and so as you swing it between the planer and moulder, you end up faffing about and trying to get the damn rollers level. My Maggi Steff (unlike the feeder I had on my previous moulder) lacks the full range of adjustment. So, for example, on the planer I can never get the rollers level..the one nearest the cutter block much, much too high relative to the one furthest away. What I need is some way to pull down on the end of the arm remote from the feeder to try and counteract the droop.

Sigh...the compromises of a combination machine...he said regretting every day the decision to go down the combi route.

If I was to buy another feeder then I'd go for the Comatic.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

petertheeater

Postby petertheeater » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:45 pm

Will do Jonathan thanks.
That’s not a what can I say - I bet you gain in other ways - space for example.
Do you use a power feed on the planer does it work well?

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:40 am

petertheeater wrote:Will do Jonathan thanks.
That’s not a what can I say - I bet you gain in other ways - space for example.
Do you use a power feed on the planer does it work well?

Space savings are marginal as you need a fair bit of space around it. You have to plan your workflow with precision (hollow laugh) to avoid having to keep moving from function to function. I keep toying with the idea of either getting a standalone table saw or thicknesser.

It is fantastic on the planer.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Postby Jonathan » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:56 am

Peter, I use power feeder on my hammer A331.
When I bought my Felder KF700 I got the Felder power feeder, 3 wheeler....it was too fast and small for what I wanted on the spindle moulder so upgraded to the comatic dc40.
The Felder power feeder was collecting dust..so set it up on the A331 and it works great....only use it on big runs...if I'm machining long stuff where I would traditionally need 2 people it now makes it a one man job.... I use it for face side and edge jointing....and it improves the quality of finish and speed.
In an ideal world I would have a co matic with a smart stand on the planner.

Jonathan
Occasional Poster

Postby Jonathan » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:58 am

Gosh Rodger....look like your up early like me....

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:02 am

Jonathan wrote:Gosh Rodger....look like your up early like me....

Absolutely...my favourite time of the day. :D
Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Power Tools and Machinery”