WADKIN MK / RM - OIL GREASE

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

WADKIN MK / RM - OIL GREASE

Post by rhrwilliams » Sat May 04, 2019 8:05 am

Hi All,

I have recetly got a new Wadkin MK planer thicknesser which is the predecessor to the RM - its a big fu*ker

Can anone tell me the correct oil and grease specifications to use on it ? It has lots of grease caps on all the bearings and an oil sump in the back for the gearbox. I imght as well give it a service etc Before being Put into use.

I was going to use High Temp Grease for the bearings , and just stick super universal tractor oil in the back end ?
I can see however you can buy special Wadkin oil in grades 1/2/3/4 ?

Any help would be apprciated. I am currently setting the thing up and getting all the bits bakc together.

Thanks

Richard

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Re: WADKIN MK / RM - OIL GREASE

Post by rhrwilliams » Sat May 04, 2019 8:13 am

Here she is coming in the workshop.... tipping down with rain of course.
IMG_2171.jpg

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Post by rhrwilliams » Sat May 04, 2019 8:16 am

On another side note I was originally going to pick this up with a trailer and get it on with an engine hoist and or a winch - NO WAY. Its brutally heavy, the body (without planer tables / motors etc) is over a ton and its impossible to move even in the workshop. I got a HIAB to pick it up on a truck and glad I did !

JonR
Occasional Poster

Post by JonR » Sat May 04, 2019 2:42 pm

Serious bit of kit mate are you gearing up to do joinery full time at some point ?

Btw how did you get on with the waterbourne laquer ?

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Post by rhrwilliams » Sun May 05, 2019 9:48 am

I would love to do it full time, but I am not sure I could ever make it work. I am still just doing my own stuff and the odd thing for others. I bought it as I have the space, machines to move it and it was cheap....and Ive always wanted one. The joke is ill probably sell my old Sedgwick for about the same I paid for the Wadkin.

THe Laquer went really well - ill post it in the project bit as its a little quiet on there at the moment.

If your ever down in East Sussex / Kent borders - pop in.

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Post by rhrwilliams » Sun May 05, 2019 1:23 pm

All assembled now. What a machine !
IMG_2184.jpg

wallace
Occasional Poster

Post by wallace » Mon May 06, 2019 2:47 am

That is a lovely original machine, I hope you keep it like that and don't paint it. I've got its brother the MJ. For lubrication I would take the bearing end cap off and see whats in their. You don't need fancy high speed stuff just a decent quality bearing grease. For the gearbox don't use anything like hypoid because the box has bronze bushings. My gearbox leaks because someone ran it with grease and it wore down the shaft going through the casing to the pulley. I cant remember what oil I got but will check

rhrwilliams
Occasional Poster

Post by rhrwilliams » Mon May 06, 2019 9:14 am

Thanks Wallace

There is a mix of different colour greases in the bearing caps - some black stuff and some yellow “standard” grease .

No I’m keeping it as- is. I like the colour - looks like an old war relic ! The only thing I’m doing to it is servicing it and trying to free up the feed speed gear knob that’s ceased .