Cross sled for table saw

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
Docjames122

Cross sled for table saw

Post by Docjames122 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:48 pm

I’m new to all of this and trying to build a cabinet for an out of the way space as a starter project.

I am trying to work out how to cut sheet plywood on a table saw as my fence only goes to 35 cm and I need a cut at 61 cm.

Happy to build a crosscut sled but the ones online are either really complicated or too small. Any ideas.

Thanks

promhandicam

Re: Cross sled for table saw

Post by promhandicam » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:06 pm

welcome to the forum. if you only have a small table saw then I would strongly suggest not trying to cut sheet plywood on it. either get your supplier to cut it to size - most timber yards offer this service, or if you are going to be doing a lot of work with sheet materials look at buying a plunge saw. The festool TS55 is the most well known and arguably the best, but there are cheaper alternatives. If you don't want to fork out for a plunge saw but have an ordinary circular saw then you can buy or make a guide rail for it.

Docjames122

Post by Docjames122 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:09 am

Steve,

Thank you. I thinkI will try this one with my circular saw for the big pieces and see how I get on.

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:16 am

You need a panel saw to cut 8x4 sheets safely but as Steve said it's easy enough with a track saw or circular saw. The trick is supporting the board and for that I use an 8x4, 50mm thick sheet of foam, not the foil sided stuff just insulation slab which you can get from BnQ. Set the depth of the cut to just a touch more than the thickness of the board so you only just score the foam and it will last you years.
Keith