Robland saw/machinery reviews

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Robland saw/machinery reviews

Post by davidpidge » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:58 pm

Hi,
Anyone using a Robland saw that could give me a review. Obviously interested in accuracy and ease of use. I'm looking at used examples including a nearly new z400.
Cheers!

MJ80
Subscriber

Re: Robland saw/machinery reviews

Post by MJ80 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:36 pm

Absolute crock of s**t. Had a z3200.
Worst machine I have ever owned
Doesn't stay square - outrigger fence
Blade height and tilt adjustment is terrible
Scribing saw adjustment is even worse.
Wished I never sold my Scm for that.
When I sold up in the UK a dealer who sells them new had to be begged to take it in a bundle. Speaks volumes of them. Cheap rubbish saw.
Find something better.

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Post by davidpidge » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:51 pm

Well that's pretty definitive! Thanks for the reply.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:39 am

SCM are quite good machines, I think the name Mini Max are the same. To really obtain accuracy for cabinet making consistently you normally have to think professional machine which adds to the price tag initially but can be redeemed to some extent if you sell on. Startright Robland have some reasonable stand alone machines but they are what I'd class as top end DIY, average trade or starting point professional. I use an SCM SC3 panel saw which is an excellent saw for joinery cabinets etc and I'd say it's probably lower end professional.

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Post by davidpidge » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:24 am

I have been looking at SCM used machines now. Just trying to find a dealer with a decent range of stock to go and see.

promhandicam

Post by promhandicam » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:21 pm

Not sure what your budget is, but there is a nice looking Felder KF500 saw spindle single phase on Ebay which looks good https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Felder-KF500 ... SwVTldqGC7

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:26 pm

davidpidge wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:24 am
I have been looking at SCM used machines now. Just trying to find a dealer with a decent range of stock to go and see.
If you are now looking at SCM panel saws I'd think any in their range will be accurate enough for most users needs. All the SCM panel saws are powerful enough for medium ripping jobs too. They do vary quite a bit in the sliding table length and sheet cutting capacity so go for a size that will fit into your projected needs. The length of panel I can cut down on one go is a bit limited on my SCM as my sliding table is one of the shorter versions but it still suites my needs because it fits into the limited space in my work area.

If you go to see one take some sheet material with you and a decent square so you can test the saw. Also take some MFC so you can check the scoring blade. Make cuts using the sliding table and see how clean the cuts are compared to the rip fence (should both be clean cuts if saw is running true, if one is clean and one rough then something is out). Set the fence on the sliding table to cut square with the blade when in use, then take the sliding table off the machine and put it back on again do another cut to see if it still cuts square (mine does every time). Try lowering the blade then make a cut from the rip fence, after that initial cut heighten the blade and make a further new cut from the rip fence, both cuts should give the same exact width of cut, be the same distance from the rip fence, If the saw fails any test move on and don't buy it as it is either set up incorrectly or worn through use or out of true.

It's worth checking the saw then asking the dealer to set it if needed and then re-check the saw but if it fails to fulfil your need is is not consistently accurate I'd move on till you find one that does.

Mark

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:32 pm

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Post by davidpidge » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:20 pm

I've got a griggio with 3.2m table atm so will just need the same size but would love a powered rip fence and digital read outs on all stops and fence.
Hoping to find something for around 6k. From a dealer who can deliver and install.
There's a large selection of scm about.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:50 pm

davidpidge wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:20 pm
I've got a griggio with 3.2m table atm so will just need the same size but would love a powered rip fence and digital read outs on all stops and fence.
Hoping to find something for around 6k. From a dealer who can deliver and install.
There's a large selection of scm about.
Seems like you already know what you want but just need to find it and bargain hard. Wish you all the best and do let us know how it ends.

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Post by davidpidge » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:21 pm

That seems too good to be true!
Yeah, new account with no feedback. 2 panel saws listed for way below market value and I've seen those altendorf photos before.
Ebay con.

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:21 am

davidpidge wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:21 pm
That seems too good to be true!
Yeah, new account with no feedback. 2 panel saws listed for way below market value and I've seen those altendorf photos before.
Ebay con.
The advert does say viewings by appointment but then it's in Northern Island so I take your point.