Casadei machines

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Casadei machines

Post by davidpidge » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:45 pm

Hi all,
Anyone have any experience with Casadei panel saws? I went to TWS in Bridgewater today to see them in person and they seem good for the money. Basically the same as SCM machines (casadei's parent company).

Also had a go on the casadei p/t with spiral cutter and that was unreal. Didn't even need ear protection its so quiet!

I am so keen to get a 4 sider now i might hang onto my panel saw for a bit longer and spend my money on a used 4 sider and new p/t.

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Re: Casadei machines

Post by Leveller2911 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:28 pm

Hi David,
I personally have no experience of Casadei but a mate of mine has and he said their stuff is ok, nothing fancy but does the job.

Not sure what your main type of work is but I do mainly windows, doors,wardrobes and the odd kitchen and for me a 4 sided moulder is the number 1 machine on my list if anything happend to my workshop.. Its cut the labour time by a huge amount and what used to take me 4hrs on a PT takes 1hr. The only downside can be if you need to plane wide bottom door rails etc where some machines will only do 180mm wide.I've never used mine for moulding as it can take a while to set up the blocks and I never get asked to mould 1000m run of mouldings.

I have the Paoloni RD240 which can plane a max 245mm wide and 120mm thick and a minimum width of 20mm and 6mm thick. That said it doesn't add much time to a job if you need to glue up a bottom rail now and then. Each head wil take a maximum of 10mm off in one pass and if I could afford it I would buy TERSA Blocks for it. Currently to change all 16 cutters takes me about 2hrs and a cost of around £100 for sharpening the HHS knives but I only tend to need to change them a couple of times a year.

All the best Leveller

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Post by davidpidge » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:08 pm

Cheers for the reply. I mainly make kitchens and wardrobes so 180mm is more than enough for door & face frames and I'll still have a 12" planer for the rest.

The guys i spoke to didn't rate tersa knives. Hes they're incredibly quick to change but they don't have much of a protruding edge as they're much thinner than an hss knife so they don't clear chips as well. This isn't great on 4 siders taking off a lot of material in one pass. APPARENTLY. It'd be costly but you could chnage the heads to spiral cutters. That would be incredible!

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Post by davidpidge » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:12 pm

Just googled your 4 sider and that is a great looking machine! Scott & Sargent have one for sale atm.

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Post by Leveller2911 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:27 pm

davidpidge wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:12 pm
Just googled your 4 sider and that is a great looking machine! Scott & Sargent have one for sale atm.

I can only speak as I find but its been a good investment in my workshop. Bought it new around 2006 for £10k+vat. Touch wood the only issues I've had over the years is the chain drive needing tightening up else the drive chain jumps the cogs so its something to check once a year that the chain tension is ok. Its old technology so relays etc, no computers....If I remember correctly NEY Woodworking are Paoloni dealers for any spares etc..