CNC Building for woodwork

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
Meccarroll
Subscriber

Re: CNC Building for woodwork

Post by Meccarroll » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:32 am

Hi all,

After spending a lot of time thinking about buying or building a CNC Router I have decided to buy a Mechanical Kit from AliExpress and build using my own selection of components.

This is the Mechanical kit I chose:

workbee.jpg
I purchased it when it was on offer with a -7% discount. I also purchased it in US Dollars because AliExpres trade in US Dollars and it was cheaper to buy on AliExpress using US Dollars and then pay my bank a non sterling transaction fee.

I decided upon the 1500 x 1500mm screw drive version over the belt driven model. The screw drive version can't be driven as fast as the belt version but it is more accurate and more popular so should be better for a resale later.

I also ordered five limit switches:
stop.jpg
These were also purchased from AliExpress in US Dollars and I paid my bank a non sterling transaction fee.

I am now waiting delivery on both of the above and will update on any further costs I incur with import duties and Tax.

Originally I was going to buy similar Stepper Motors to the OoZnest Workbee but after a lot of reading have decided to buy upgraded Stepper Motors and use Digital Drivers. I'll update in a bit!

9fingers
Subscriber

Post by 9fingers » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:34 am

Following this with interest.
I too buy stuff on Ali-express and it seems to be the luck of the draw on duties. I've had multi £100 buys with duty (vat) charged on one order and nothing on another even from the same vendor.
Good Luck
Bob
Information on induction motors and inverters here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:43 pm

Made some more purchases for the CNC Router build, Spindle & VDF also a Set of Stepper Motors with Drivers.

First the Spindle and VDF

I have been looking at videos on Utube and read a lot of threads in CNC forums about Chinese Spindles and VDF's and come to the conclusion that most DIY builds use them.

I also followed CNC Paul's advice and took a look at uk resellers (CNC4YOU) for a spindle and VDF (Variable Frequency Drive).

When I looked at the specifications for VDF's and took a look on the site of CNC4YOU (UK seller) I could see they sold the same HY VDF's which were the same manufacturer (HY) as the Chinese venders were selling on ebay and AliExpress. The main difference was the price!

Here is a breakdown of the price for a Spindle and VDF kit from CNC4YOU:
If you click in the picture it should enlarge so you can read everything.

Shop Cart.jpg
The price comes to £564.29, and includes all the necessary items for a Water cooled spindle except maybe a water container and cutters.

This is what I ended up buying for £286,
it was after a lot of shopping around on ebay and Alixpress. I managed to find the same or V.Similar items as CNC4YOU were selling but for quite a lot less almost half price in fact:

Shop Cart 3.jpg
With this purchase AliExpress give the buyer a Free 15 day return, there is also a buyer protection in place. The Spindle and VDF are listed as being located in the EU so no VAT or Import taxes should apply.

I would agree that buying from China is more risky than buying from a Uk seller but when you are saving £278 it's hard to say NO. What really swung it to buy from AliExpress was the specification sheets and documentation manual about the VDF's. CNC4YOU actually seemed to be selling the same VDF's as the Chinese VDF's, both HY Units. I will check all the specifications when my VDF arrives and update this thread.

I'll post about my Stepper Motor purchase next and the reason why I chose them over other's.

Thank's for looking. Comment if you want, I'd like some feedback!

Mark

9fingers
Subscriber

Post by 9fingers » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:08 pm

Mark, you might find this site useful when buying from far flung places.
http://parcelsapp.com/en/tracking
Often they provide more info than Ali-Express themselves.

Bob
Information on induction motors and inverters here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meccarroll
Subscriber

Post by Meccarroll » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:41 pm

9fingers wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:08 pm
Mark, you might find this site useful when buying from far flung places.
http://parcelsapp.com/en/tracking
Often they provide more info than Ali-Express themselves.

Bob
Thank's for the info Bob, it's nice to get a bit of feedback.

I have found that some Chinese sellers on ebay also sell on AliExpress but for less than on ebay and sometimes with free shipping!

The seller I purchased from on AliExpress included shipping costs etc, the exact same seller on ebay added £30 on his price and then added £40 shipping costs too. The saving for using AliExpress with the same seller was £70.

I'm not saying what buying on AliExpress is the best way to buy but the figures seemed to work for me.

I will keep this thread informed when I receive the items regarding final prices but because of current work restrictions in China there may be delays.

Regards Mark

jfc
Administrator

Post by jfc » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:46 pm

Oh the old " contagious disease " excuse eh !