Small spindle moulder

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
Artiglio

Small spindle moulder

Post by Artiglio » Sun May 03, 2020 12:00 am

Good evening

I’ve been looking at router tables and its not hard to spend a good chunk of change, is it worth looking at the smaller spindle moulders such as the axminster Ac150sm ? Advantage of being able to use router tooling and smaller spindle tooling. Use will be mainly skirtings, architraves and running out simple profiles for windows and doors. Not a huge amount of work for it , limited in immediate future to a renovation/ refurb of a doer upper.
Any guidance appreciated.

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Re: Small spindle moulder

Post by thatsnotafestool » Mon May 04, 2020 6:44 am

If you're asking that question then if you do go down the spindle moulder route, I urge you in the strongest possible way to go on a course on how to use a moulder safely. Remember the adage

A router will remove a finger. A spindle moulder - a hand.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Artiglio

Post by Artiglio » Mon May 04, 2020 8:50 am

Good morning , thanks for the reply, perhaps i should have qualified my op, my late father was a carpenter/joiner all his working life, i still have access to his old workshop ( mum still lives in the same house) it includes a 3 phase modern spindle moulder, so whilst no formal training i’ve had a comprehensive if old school introduction ( he ground most of his own cutters, (there’s a weird 50 year history in a big drawer) not something i’d do ,if needed i’ll go the custom grind route) However its a 600 mile round trip so using it and the other machines although the ideal solution is not too practical.
My query was really to see if anyone used a similar machine to the axminster and how useful they found it. I’ve plenty of space but no 3 phase at my place.

9fingers
Subscriber

Post by 9fingers » Mon May 04, 2020 9:01 am

With a top speed of 8000 rpm. I can’t see that this machine can use normal size router cutters properly.
It might be ok for router style large diameter panel raising cutters.
Bob
Information on induction motors and inverters here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Mon May 04, 2020 9:12 am

This looks underpowered for any serious use, I doubt 1.5kW is not going to cut it! A good heavy duty router, such as the DeWalt 625 is 2kW, so you can see that this machine is likely to struggle getting anything but the lightest tools spinning up to speed. Safety is a big factor too, as thatsnotafestool has pointed out, and a power feed is a big safety feature, but I doubt you could ever fit one on this machine. I bought a router table which wasn't great then ended up making my own with a Woodpecker lift and that may be a better option for you.
Keith

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Mon May 04, 2020 10:11 am

As you've got all that lovely old cast-iron machinery, have you considered getting a rotary converter to provide you with 3-phase ? Plenty of companies can move the stuff for you.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Artiglio

Post by Artiglio » Mon May 04, 2020 11:33 am

Cheers gents, thanks for the input. I’ve been spoilt at my old mans place, spindle has power feed, there’s a 16” robinson planer thicknesser, multico tenoner and morticer. Etc.
However whilst i’ve room and a rotary converter an option, the machinery was left to his best mate so whilst i have free access to use it when i want , its not mine otherwise much of it would already have moved.

9fingers
Subscriber

Post by 9fingers » Mon May 04, 2020 11:52 am

In your shoes I’d go the router route. Either the Dw or its trend clone has the ability to adjust the height through the base so you can mount it on a plate in a home made table. You might need an extension collet.
That will be the most versatile solution and not too spendy.
Bob
Information on induction motors and inverters here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Deema

Post by Deema » Mon May 04, 2020 12:48 pm

I have initially to declare that I’m biased......I personally think routers are extremely dangerous and I avoid using them!
I’m a spindle moulder through and through.
Firstly, the cutting edge projection when using legal modern tooling on a spindle is.....exactly the same as a router bit. So, as long as you use modern tooling and where appropriate use limiters it will only cut off a similar amount of flesh as a router. Old, blocks that don’t have limited projection would and did cut off hands.
Routers typically have lower power than a spindle moulder and require you to take nibbles rather than making the moulding in a single cut. If you take too much of a cut on a router it can stall / kick back which is a great way of losing fingers.
Routers cutters have at best 1/2” shafts, and can and do break when under a heavy cut. A spindle moulder will have a shaft typically 30mm......just doesn’t break.
Spindle moulder cutters such as Euro cutters are typically £20 for a set of knives and limiters....and then around £10 for a new set of knives. Vast amount of standard mouldings and relatively cheap to get custom made cutters. Yes you do need to buy blocks to put them in, but there are plenty secondhand.
The cut quality on a spindle is normally better than that of a router. The mass and power of the cutter gives a better finish. With a power feed you can climb cut which gives the very best surface finish.
Spindles are typically quieter than a router which is often a benefit if you have neighbours.
If I were looking for a small spindle I would be looking for a SCMT100. It’s a very compact highly capable machine and as standard came with a sliding table. Built like a tank, and although not made any more super reliable. You can pick them up secondhand for around £500 for a really nice one, ready to use.

I will now duck and pop on the tin hat for the avalanche of very happy and totally satisfied router users

Artiglio

Post by Artiglio » Tue May 05, 2020 1:40 pm

Thanks again. My makita is rated at 1850w so for now i’ll look out for a table (or make one) and see how i get on, maybe possible with a bit of planning to get bulk of work done in the old workshop. I’ll keep my open for the mentioned scm and see if one comes up.

jfc
Administrator

Post by jfc » Tue May 05, 2020 8:44 pm

Most things can be done with a router in some way or other . A spindle moulder comes into its own if you are wanting to copy profiles or do larger production work .
I did my apprenticeship for a wood worm / dry rot company and there wasn't a moulding i couldn't match with off the peg timber , a router and painters mate :D
Spindle moulding is a big investment . Worth while if you plan to use it alot ( i have four ) :lol: The smallest that you are looking at is dedicated to stuff i could do with a router .

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Tue May 05, 2020 10:01 pm

jfc wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:44 pm
.... Worth while if you plan to use it alot ( i have four ) :lol: ....
One day, you'll find one that works :lol: :lol: :lol:
Friedrich Nietzsche

joshi123

Post by joshi123 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:01 am

This looks underpowered for any genuine use, I question 1.5kW won't cut it! A decent uncompromising switch, for example, the DeWalt 625 is 2kW, so you can see that this machine is probably going to battle to get anything besides the lightest instruments turning up to speed. Wellbeing is a major factor as well, as that is not a festool has brought up, and a force feed is a major security highlight, yet I question you would actually fit one on this machine. I purchased a switch table which wasn't extraordinary at that point wound up making my own with a Woodpecker lift and that might be a superior alternative for you.

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:24 pm

joshi123 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:01 am
This looks underpowered for any genuine use, I question 1.5kW won't cut it! A decent uncompromising switch, for example, the DeWalt 625 is 2kW, so you can see that this machine is probably going to battle to get anything besides the lightest instruments turning up to speed. Wellbeing is a major factor as well, as that is not a festool has brought up, and a force feed is a major security highlight, yet I question you would actually fit one on this machine. I purchased a switch table which wasn't extraordinary at that point wound up making my own with a Woodpecker lift and that might be a superior alternative for you.
Take a hike, mate. Are you a robot ?
Friedrich Nietzsche

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:39 am

That’s the second time one of my posts has been copied and used to put a spam link on the forum. I’ve not noticed they do it with anyone else?
Keith

jfc
Administrator

Post by jfc » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:56 pm

Added to the ban list