Sander recommendations

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
whitestaff

Sander recommendations

Post by whitestaff » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:18 pm

Hi,
I currently have a Makita DBO180 18v random orbit sander which has done me well up to now. Does a mains powered ros have more oomph than the battery version? Or do I need to be thinking of a belt sander? Sanding some router marks out of a flattened oak end grain chopping board is taking longer than forever!
Thanks
Steve

davidpidge
Occasional Poster

Re: Sander recommendations

Post by davidpidge » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:49 am

A mains sander will probably have more oomph but more important is the speed and orbit pattern. Some sanders have smaller pattern of say 2mm for fine work and some have a 5mm pattern for quicker, more aggressive sanding. Look at a good budget 150mm like the metabo sxe 450.
Or for seriously quick removal but also the option for a finer finish get a festool rotex. 125mm or 150mm. Worth every penny.
A belt sander is ok for getting the really rough stuff flattened out but harder to control.

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:56 am

Also grit size will affect speed of removal at the expense of final smoothness.

Personally I like my Mirka CEROS especially as all the dust (or most of it) is sucked away by the vacuum cleaner.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

whitestaff

Post by whitestaff » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:11 am

The orbit pattern size is just the advice I was looking for David, thank you. Thanks for the recommendations both of you, Festool & Mirko are probably out of my range at the moment, I'll have a look at the Metabo or something similar. The oak boards are already flat, just the router marks to remove so a belt sander seemed a bit harsh.
The grit size won't affect final smoothness if you sand up through the grits though will it thatsnotafestool? Or am I missing something?

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:42 pm

whitestaff wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:11 am
The grit size won't affect final smoothness if you sand up through the grits though will it thatsnotafestool? Or am I missing something?
No it won't. My apologies for not explaining myself better.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

whitestaff

Post by whitestaff » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:20 pm

Thanks thatsnotafestool. No probs, I miss the simple things sometimes, so always better to ask a seemingly stupid question!

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:45 am

I have a 150mm DeWalt orbital sander that is switchable between a fine and coarse orbit and would be worth looking at possibly?
Keith