GMC Power Tools (and MacAllister too actually)

If its got a cable, this is the place to talk about it.
Maverick81

GMC Power Tools (and MacAllister too actually)

Postby Maverick81 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:44 pm

G'day y'all.
Does anybody know anything about the GMC brand of power tools (the only place ive seen them is in the ToolStation catalogue). In particular the 250mm sliding mitre saw?

I am currently in the market for a sliding mitre saw for my small personal workshop, but i dont know if i should get/need to get a double bevel or just a single bevel?

Ive had my eye on Hitachi 216mm and a Metabo 216mm at the top end of my budget at £250 mark. But then I have seen the GMC model in Toolstation which will bevel both left and right for £195. Also seen a MacAllister model in B&Q which is a double bevel also under £200. But i dont really know anything of these brands?

Are they solid and accurate?
Comments and opinions welcome. Thank you.

promhandicam

Re: GMC Power Tools (and MacAllister too actually)

Postby promhandicam » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:52 pm

Welcome to the forum. I think that you will find they are both sh*t. A mate of mine had one of the B&Poo specials and in use the plastic blade guard somehow came into contact with the blade and exploded. He chucked it straight in the skip. Save up a few more quid and go for the metabo - you won't regret it.

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Postby Leveller2911 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:59 pm

Agree with Steve, It will drive you mad when you need accuracy and you don't get it.

As the old saying goes "Buy cheap and you buy twice". Metabo and a decent brand and a little better than Hitachi imo. Not sure what happed to the Metabo immobilisers on their power tools.Did they have issues with them ,so quietly withdrew them?.

Maverick81

Postby Maverick81 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:13 pm

Thanks chaps. It just annoys me that product can be made that are not, what I think most people would consider, fit for purpose. But I am inclined towards one of the more reputable manufacturers. Ive heard good things about the Hitachi and it has the (slightly) longer cross-cutting distance, though I feel the Metabo may (possibly) be slightly better engineered
Both of these are only single bevel.....Do you think this matters? Is having a double bevel really essential.....This is my first sliding mitre saw purchase. ???

Doug
Subscriber

Postby Doug » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:05 pm

I had a Hitachi prior to getting a Kapex & I don`t think I`d have swapped it for anything else other than the Kapex, it really was a very good machine.

modernist
Subscriber

Postby modernist » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:12 pm

I knew you'd be in there Doug :D . I took Steve's advice a while ago and bought the Metabo (currently on my "Workshop upgrade" thread). I like it and it does everything I've asked of it. The newer ones are a bit pricey with the fancy cowls.
Cheers

Brian

Tune in, turn on with Scandi Modern, it's fab.

Visit my blog at http://modernistmullings.blogspot.co.uk

MJ80
Subscriber

Postby MJ80 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:38 pm

Ive got the little 216 Metabo in lue. Brilliant cheap little saw with good capacity, light enough to not be a pain getting in and out of the van and into work. Only bought it as a stopgap (that was two years ago) and I really cant recommend it enough, even came with an extra blade

Return to “Power Tools and Machinery”