Tinted Danish Oil on poplar?

Everything you need to know about finishing.
sztriki

Tinted Danish Oil on poplar?

Postby sztriki » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:45 am

Morning,
I designed a nice shelf for my hallway, went to the timberyard for some planed hardwood boards and got a sufficient amount of poplar/tulipwood. The idea was to stain it dark brown and oil-finish it, but upon reading up on poplar (obviously after buying the wood, duh) I found out that it's not best friends with stains and tends to come out blotchy.
I saw that there are many different types of tinted danish oil or teak oil. Would that behave differently as most wood stains are water or alcohol based, but these are oils? Or the colour would come out blotchy using these oils too?
Appreciate that a sealer is required for oil finish as well, any reliable brands regarding sealers that work with poplar? I'd prefer something with low odour, because I don't have a workshop and would need to finish the wood indoors.
Thanks for any advice!

promhandicam

Re: Tinted Danish Oil on poplar?

Postby promhandicam » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:23 pm

Not sure about staining poplar, you'd need to try a sample first, but I'm a big fan of osmo - have a look at their wood wax finishes.

thekarter
Occasional Poster

Postby thekarter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:10 pm

promhandicam wrote:Not sure about staining poplar, you'd need to try a sample first, but I'm a big fan of osmo - have a look at their wood wax finishes.

I agree, a wax finish could be the answer. I use Briwax.
Alan

9fingers
Subscriber

Postby 9fingers » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:58 pm

Shellac sanding sealer can be useful with timbers that tend to go blotchy with stain.
It is also useful to seal end grain which would go much darker than with the grain.
Bob
Information on induction motors and inverters here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_GZrX ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Finishing”