Sadolin Ultra vs Sadolin Classic vs Sikkens Cetol Filter 7 Plus

Everything you need to know about finishing.
Roger-M
Subscriber

Sadolin Ultra vs Sadolin Classic vs Sikkens Cetol Filter 7 Plus

Postby Roger-M » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:41 am

A previous test set up in 2012 compared Osmo UV Oil and Sikkens Cetol Filter 7 Plus on Iroko, and it was not long before Sikkens showed its class. But would that be the same on other species of wood? And how would it compare with Sadolin? That's what this new test is set up to establish.

This time I've used separate test pieces for each timber and finish, and each piece of wood for each species comes from the same plank.

labelled test piece 2.jpg

Column 1 is Iroko
Column 2 is English Oak
Column 3 is Sapele
Column 4 is treated softwood

Row 1 (Top) is Sadolin Ultra (Walnut). One coat of Sadolin clear base coat with 2 coats of top coat
Row 2 is Sadolin Classic (Walnut) 2 coats
Row 3 is Sikkens Cetol Filter 7 Plus (Walnut). One coat of Cetol HLS (Light Oak), with 2 coats of Cetol Filter 7 Plus (Walnut)
Row 4 is Sikkens Cetol Filter 7 Plus (Pale Oak). One coat of Cetol HLS (Light Oak), with 2 coats of Cetol Filter 7 Plus (Light Oak )
Row 5 (Bottom) is bare wood with no finish.

All finishes were applied onto dry wood with a brush in accordance with manufacturers instructions. All edges have been rounded over.

It'll be interesting to see which brand comes out on top, and also whether the more pigmented Sikkens Walnut is more durable than the Pale Oak equivalent from the same manufacturer.

The whole artistic creation will be placed upright facing south in full sun, and as before, I'll update every 6 months, or when I remember, or when asked!
Cheers, Roger

woodsmith
Subscriber

Re: Sadolin Ultra vs Sadolin Classic vs Sikkens Cetol Filter 7 Plus

Postby woodsmith » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:33 am

Brilliant, look forward to the updates. I had a glue test in the garden for many years, it became a point of discourse and division when it became less sightly!
Keith

Leveller2911
Subscriber

Postby Leveller2911 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:21 am

Glad you posted another test set Roger, look forward to seeing how they all stand up. I often use Sikkens Cetol filter 7 and also the HLS with Filter 7 top coat.

Cheers Again Leveller.

Roger-M
Subscriber

Postby Roger-M » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:59 am

Thanks Leveller. My guess is that Sikkens Filter 7 (Walnut) will be the winner, but I'm particularly interested to see how it fares against Sadolin Ultra. Time will tell!
Cheers, Roger

davy

Postby davy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:30 pm

I tend to treat external woodwork as I would decking. I.e I dont want anything that peels or flakes cos it is a bugger to rub down before applying a maintenance coat.
I find that:
- Sikkens Filter 7 is good on vertical surfaces but hopeless on horizontal surfaces
- OSMO UV wax was useless at preventing the wood greying and left a blotchy appearance and then impossible to apply maintenance coats over wax.

So every couple of years I
- wash down to remove dust and bird droppings
- apply fungicide or bleach to remove black algae stains
- apply clear wood preserver - especially to joints
- apply clear or very-lightly coloured decking oil which soaks into the wood
No scrapping or sanding necessary. All quickly slapped on with a brush so takes very little time.
This procedure allows the wood to fade to a silvery grey (looks good on iroko) without black streaks

You could try this on one of your untreated panels?

Return to “Finishing”