Teak oil nightmare

Everything you need to know about finishing.
Every Grain By Hand

Teak oil nightmare

Postby Every Grain By Hand » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:53 pm

Hello all
I've been oiling our dining room furniture recently and, while the chairs now look good, the table has not done so well. There has been uneven absorbtion
of the oil and those areas also now have a whitish colour to them. I have pictures but don't know how to post. Would love some help.

E

promhandicam

Re: Teak oil nightmare

Postby promhandicam » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:01 pm

Welcome to the forum. You have to post a few times before posting photos. Regarding your table, teak oil is generally used for garden furniture. Any idea what the finish was originally? I suspect you may have to clean the oil off with white spirits and start again. My preference would be to use osmo Polyx, but you would need to carefully sand the table back to bare wood first.

Every Grain By Hand

Postby Every Grain By Hand » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:27 pm

Thanks for the reply Prom
The table is beech and the original coating was a tough waxy product already applied to it. Took some stripping. I tried to remove some marks befor hand hence the re oiling.
After the White spirit should I use a coarse then fine sand paper? What is osmo polyx and can you reccomend a supplier?

Cheers.
E

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:33 pm

Be very careful sanding the table unless you are 101% sure that it is solid beech. In all likelihood it is a veneer which will be less than 1mm thick. The white spirit should remove the excess oil, and once dry I personally would just very lightly hand sand with 120g paper. Osmo Polyx is widely available in decorators merchants or online.

Every Grain By Hand

Postby Every Grain By Hand » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:53 pm

Thanks Steve
I did use 180 with a palm sander after I removed the original coating but will now use 120 once the oil has gone.
Do you know if the osmo will be that Sam colour as the teak oil?

E

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:26 pm

180g would be ok, just don't go coarser than 120g. Colour will be similar. When you apply the osmo do a thin coat, leave a couple of minutes and then wipe off any excess with paper towels. It should be touch dry. Leave a day and apply a 2nd coat as above.

Every Grain By Hand

Postby Every Grain By Hand » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:07 am

Steve
Good job you said that as I was planning to use a coarser paper to get the surface down a bit to remove the areas that were not absorbing the teak oil.

E

woodsmith
Subscriber

Postby woodsmith » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:23 am

If your top is veneered and you have patches that won't take an oil finish it may not be practical to sand it down enough for Polyx to give you an even finish. I would use white spirit on a cloth to remove as much of the teak oil as you can possibly get out then leave it to dry completely. Then give it a gentle sand down with 150 grit by hand using a sanding block. Rub it down with the grain until it looks evenly dull then clean off all the dust before wiping the whole surface with a white spirit soaked cloth. Then watch it as it dries, if it stays unpatchy you can use Polyx but if has patches that stay wetter longer then you still have some of the original finish in the grain. You could try patch sanding these areas but if you are getting concerned you could go through the veneer I would use a 50/50 mix of Finishing oil (or Danish oil) and an oil based varnish. Oil based varnishes are not so easy to find these days you just need to find one that says clean brushes with white spirit or turps. Apply very thinly with lint free cloths and gradually build up a finish over a few days as you need to leave at least 24 hours between coats.
Keith

Every Grain By Hand

Postby Every Grain By Hand » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:53 am

Thanks for the reply woodsmith.
I used stripper to remove the original coating and then removed it with a decorators scraper. I did this again last night as White spirit was not removing the teak oil very quickly. I discovered the scarper was the source of the marks. As I apply a bit of force to the gunk the wood surface changes texture slightly in areas leaving the whitish mark. A sanding should sort it and I'll use spirit from now on. No vaneer as it a solid table.

E

Every Grain By Hand

Postby Every Grain By Hand » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:02 pm

Update.
Took the surface back with a 40grit then several passes with a 180. That sorted the white patches. So far I e applied 4 coats of osmo polyx satin matt. Great stuff. The last coat I used a sponge to see what the finish was like. Also used a brush and cloth for previous coats. Probably worth trying non abrasive pads as a rougher texture tends to distribute the oil more evenly.
Despite the crimes I've no doubt commited I have enjoyed the process and appreciated your help.

Thanks all.
E

promhandicam

Postby promhandicam » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:54 pm

thanks for the update. I would strongly recommend not adding any more coats as the manufacturer only recommends 2 and you may get issues with it not drying fully.

Return to “Finishing”