That didn'tgo according to plan

Everything you need to know about finishing.
thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

That didn'tgo according to plan

Post by thatsnotafestool » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:59 am

We bought some engineered oak floorboards from French Forest Floors and, well to be honest, the finish quality of many of them..well, most of them...leaves a lot to be desired and, yes, I should have rejected them at the time but when you've just hand offloaded 3 tons of the stuff and trying to beat the rain then ones' sense of perspective tends to go out of the window. And then all the million other "must-do's" push the issue down the priority list.

So, as my builder would say, we are where we are.

Enter Fiddes Filler Gel which I thought was the answer to my prayers. Just mix up with sawdust from the same boards, mix to a fine paste and fill the holes. Oh, yes ! Rejoice.

Perhaps not.

The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

jfc
Administrator

Re: That didn'tgo according to plan

Post by jfc » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:21 pm

Dab a wet tea bag over it .

Tomyjoiner
Subscriber

Post by Tomyjoiner » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:59 pm

Get in touch with morrells, they have just taken out a new range of fillers, a coloured glue stick for a gun.

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:47 am

I had some boards like this where they had slapped filler everywhere. After a good sand down most of the mess was removed and it looked ok after finishing.
Keith

Tomyjoiner
Subscriber

Post by Tomyjoiner » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:07 pm

Morrells have a new range of fillers out their in stick form an go in a glue gun. Speak to a rep or go to your local depot.

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:46 pm

Thought I'd add a bit on this. After a few floors were laid down, soon became apparent that a lot of their filler was not that secure. So I continued using the Fiddes ... great stuff. I tried adding stain as their MD suggested......note to self...water based stains and alcohol based filler do NOT go well together. Then I remembered I had some earth pigments. Made up three different mixes with gradually increasing levels (you only need a nail full..this stuff is so intense) and basically sloshed it all about. Didn't worry too much about making it fully filled because a few hours later I made some more dollop and applied that.

My reasoning being that there should be hollows etc from one layer to the next that , being filled with different shades, when sanded down, should look 'natural'.

Pleased with the result..sorry. no pics. Obviously trying to do this in a commercial environment would be a no-no.

And in passing, for finishing would give a huge thumbs-up to Blanchon Original Wood Environment. Knocks that horrible stinking never-drying Osmo crap :lol: into a cocked hat.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:18 am

Roger do you know if this finish is for new wood only or if it would go on flooring that's been Osmo'd years ago. Love the idea of odour free and quick drying.
Keith

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:04 pm

woodsmith wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:18 am
Roger do you know if this finish is for new wood only or if it would go on flooring that's been Osmo'd years ago. Love the idea of odour free and quick drying.
Sorry, Keith, but you're out of luck. Bare wood only.
Friedrich Nietzsche

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:14 pm

thatsnotafestool wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:04 pm
woodsmith wrote:
Thanks, that's a pity as I've developed an allergy to Osmo and can't use it or any of the other oil based finishes.
Keith

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Post by thatsnotafestool » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:23 pm

woodsmith wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:14 pm
thatsnotafestool wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:04 pm
woodsmith wrote:
Thanks, that's a pity as I've developed an allergy to Osmo and can't use it or any of the other oil based finishes.
Hire a floor sander ? The SandGlider is brilliant.
Friedrich Nietzsche