Best finish to fight black mould?

Everything you need to know about finishing.
PistolPete

Best finish to fight black mould?

Post by PistolPete » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:50 pm

Hi - I'm brand new to the forum so please forgive me if this has been covered before.

I have a victorian style ceiling-hanging clothes airer, around 6 or 7 years old and it has developed a problem with black mould (obviously due to it having damp clothes on a lot of the time). I've dismantled it & washed it down with a bleach solution, and I'm about to sand-off the staining once it's dry, but I wondered what the best finish to keep the mould at bay? I had originally planned on using boiled linseed oil, but I've heard that can make mould issues worse by providing a food source?

So what would be the best thing to refinish it with, bearing in mind that keeping it away from moisture is not really an option?

I have BLO, Danish oil & Yacht Varnish in the shed & a branch of B&Q a two-minute walk away.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts :)

woodsmith
Subscriber

Re: Best finish to fight black mould?

Post by woodsmith » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:10 am

Yacht varnish would be my choice, I’d dilute the first coat 50-50 with turps to get it to soak into the wood. I’d also look at getting more ventilation in the room if you can.
Keith

PistolPete

Re: Best finish to fight black mould?

Post by PistolPete » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:02 pm

Thanks for the helpful response Woodsmith.

Following a bit more Googling after I posted (and discovering a good rundown of the water-resisting properties of various finishing methods on a site dedicated to fishing rods of all things) I had more or less come to the same conclusion and applied a varnish & spirit mix just before I saw your post.

Hopefully, a few coats will keep the water at bay :)