oiling mahogany

Everything you need to know about finishing.
cornishjoiner

oiling mahogany

Postby cornishjoiner » Wed May 14, 2014 9:38 pm

Hi guys,

Never used Mahogany before, i planed some pieces up sanded and added a little oil (osmo clear). It has gone all streaky, some parts really dark and other light. Is this normal and if so how, how do i get a uniform result?

Many thanks

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Re: oiling mahogany

Postby thatsnotafestool » Thu May 15, 2014 2:05 pm

It sounds to me as if you've got a mix of grain direction. Some mahogany, for example, flame mahogany has the grain swirling around every which way. When I finish mahogany I use a thin wash coat of shellac first before I do anything such as staining as the wash coat will seal any end grain that is present on the surface.

Can't help re oil.
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Thu May 15, 2014 7:19 pm

Like I used on this

Imagehttps://flic.kr/p/nBLgzn
The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.
Friedrich Nietzsche

jake
Subscriber

Postby jake » Thu May 15, 2014 10:24 pm

That's a nice semi-repro piece Roger.

The lower panel isn't quite as good as fish-dinosaur, but it does look like a bit like a cropped pic of someone of indeterminate sex waiting to receive doggy-style sex. That's the imaginative bit I like most about it. It's the spine and the anus that does it. Such are the skills of tiling and book-matching.

thatsnotafestool
Subscriber

Postby thatsnotafestool » Fri May 16, 2014 5:00 am

Gosh, Jake. I am in shock and awe at your rapier sharp wit. Don't give up the day job. You are not cut out to be a comic.
Friedrich Nietzsche

mattty
Subscriber

Postby mattty » Fri May 16, 2014 7:57 am

jake wrote:That's a nice semi-repro piece Roger.

The lower panel isn't quite as good as fish-dinosaur, but it does look like a bit like a cropped pic of someone of indeterminate sex waiting to receive doggy-style sex. That's the imaginative bit I like most about it. It's the spine and the anus that does it. Such are the skills of tiling and book-matching.

Lol, Fish dinosaur was the best thread ever!
Cheers, Matt.

jake
Subscriber

Postby jake » Fri May 16, 2014 9:37 am

thatsnotafestool wrote:Gosh, Jake. I am in shock and awe at your rapier sharp wit. Don't give up the day job. You are not cut out to be a comic.

Awww, don't be sore.

jake
Subscriber

Postby jake » Fri May 16, 2014 10:13 am

mattty wrote:
jake wrote:That's a nice semi-repro piece Roger.

Lol, Fish dinosaur was the best thread ever!

Matttttty!

Serendipity for those who haven't seen it: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3621&p=47160&hilit=fish+lipped#p47160

Return to “Finishing”