Kitchen Finishes

Everything you need to know about finishing.
Oneillkev
Occasional Poster

Kitchen Finishes

Post by Oneillkev » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:14 pm

Hi All

Im wondering what way other people finish their kitchens. I have predominantly sprayed painted my kitchen using sayerlak 2k paint. I have had a couple of clients coke back to me after a year or so disappointed with chipping at corner of frame and door around islands, at dishwasher and bins etc.

Recently I have switched to had painted finishing on site once the kitchen is installed in the hope that the paint (little green) won't chip as easily and is more likely to ding than chipand easier to touch up. (it also means I can get the kitchen out of the workshop a bit earlier)

The problem is I cannot seem to find a reliable painter to do a good enough job on the handpainting. I'm not sure what to do as I like the sprayed finish but it's time consuming in the workshop and takes up a lot of space but mainly clients are not happy with it chipping.

I also like the hand painted finish and it really makes it easier to fit the kitchen and frees up space in the workshop but it's hard to get a painter to do it properly.

How do other guys hear finish their kitchens.

Kevin

murdoch

Re: Kitchen Finishes

Post by murdoch » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:00 pm

Hi Kevin, I know how you feel. We now use a water based scratch resistant paint from movac. We spray the first topcoat, denib then spray the second and quickly lay off with a brush to add faint brush marks. This gives the look of a really good hand painted finish and means you can touch up on site and it will blend in.

Cheers
http://Www.murdochjoinery.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

senior
Subscriber

Post by senior » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:25 pm

A framed kitchen in my opinion has to be hand painted. Otherwise the join between cabinets / end panels etc are always visible.
My painter will probably spend 2 days preping the kitchen before painting, I pay through the nose for decent hand painting but it is worth it in the long term.
Have a look at my facebook page and leave a comment or two.
Or browse my website Hand made kitchens Essex

JonR
Occasional Poster

Post by JonR » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:41 pm

Whats your location i have a very good painter he sprays also.

Oneillkev
Occasional Poster

Post by Oneillkev » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:13 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't mind paying through the nose for the right finish but I can't seem to get anyone who is good enough.

I'm in Ireland JonR. Mid leinster.

Do you spray the primer senior in workshop or do you send it out raw?

Kevin

woodsmith
Subscriber

Post by woodsmith » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:04 am

We aren't geared up to spray anything other than water based finishes and so have been forced to use acrylic paint. We've found Farrow and Ball estate eggshell to be the best, especially in respect of getting an even surface sheen. We don't do a lot of spraying but we have only been called back once and that was after the teenage son, in a fit of hormones, kicked the side of one of our cabinets. I repaired it using those small foam brushes you can get and it you couldn't see where the mark had been once the paint dried. The only down side is the paint can take a while to dry but may be worth a trial for you.
Keith

jake
Subscriber

Post by jake » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:34 pm

For water-based and as someone who hates painting I would wholeheartedly recommend Tikurilla Helmi. I haven't used it on a kitchen but it is tough as nails,and leaves a great finish whether you want a spray-like flat finish (microfibre roller) or brushed (roll on/lay-off with a brush).

lynx
Very Regular Poster

Post by lynx » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:29 am

http://holmanpaints.co.uk/45-paints-for ... n-cabinets

These guys (Local to me) see very good furniture and kitchen paint. I've used (Mark WIlks, Martin Moore all use it), the feelings furniture paint. Not cheap but very good.
LyNx

siafins
Subscriber

Post by siafins » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:40 am

Tikurilla Helmi I can thoroughly reccomend as Jake and Lynx. Really impressed with it,tough and you can get a really good finish.

I used Mylands Paints on a job recently and was also impressed with that.

jake
Subscriber

Post by jake » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:52 am

Feelings is the same stuff Lynx.

lynx
Very Regular Poster

Post by lynx » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:05 am

Jake. I see that now. We've only bought the feelings stuff in the past. Not the cheapest but really good results with a roller and quality brush.
LyNx

jake
Subscriber

Post by jake » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:15 am

It's a bit odd they sell it under two names, but it is a lovely paint to use (and I hate painting) - I first used it (and the Otex primer) on my derided 1.whatever tonnes of mdf alcove cupboards and it was a revelation to me in terms of flat finish. A friend of ours helps me out painting sometimes (he did 2 of the 4 alcoves). He's a pro and and works at a national museum - they are now using their paint a lot.

I've used a fair few of Tikurilla's other paints since which are so far impressive also.